CSL Pellet Stove Cleaner....Any Thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stove burning at a lower temperature will produce creosote as well. Try burning it hotter and see if that helps clear it up.

I agree!
I think what happened to mine was we had a few days of warmer outside temps and the stove dialed itself down to a lower heat. That’s when I started noticing a creosote build-up and when the temps got cold again and the stove was burning hotter, I could smell a strange odor that I must assume was creosote burning. I shut the stove down and will be cleaning when I get the right creosote cleaners and brush.
Thanks for the reply.

Stove burning at a lower temperature will produce creosote as well. Try burning it hotter and see if that helps clear it up.

Thanks!
Now that the weather has cleared up, I pulled the vent pipe apart outside and it was mostly plugged up with creosote. Cleaning it solved the problem but I also burned the stove hot afterward to clear out the remaining small amount of creosote and that eliminated all odor.

I’ve been burning Somerset pellets since my stove was new 3 years now but I bought 4 bags of Propellets just to try them. The ash from these is far less and much finer without creosote buildup although they don’t seem to burn quite as hot. It’s hard to tell with only 4 bags so I think I’ll make the switch for next season and go with the Propellets. Both of these brands are excellent quality and I’ve tried hard to find faults with the pellets but cannot. The problems I’ve had all turned out to be something I missed when cleaning. I’ve taken samples of pellets and burned them on a shovel blade with a propane torch and I’m amazed at how odorless and clean burning they are, unlike raw, dry tree logs.

Hello
Check out this YouTube video.