CT & MA TSC/ Lowes/ HD pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eng5ive

Oct 3, 2015
Just wondering if anyone knows what brands Lowes, HD or TSC is carrying for pellets this year? I'm in CT near the mass line. Don't mind a drive if it means getting a better quality pellet. In the past I've gotten Green Team and Fireside Ultra's. FSU's weren't too bad but the green teams were awful. Very dirty and high ash in our stove.

Reactions: Pellet-King
Hi Eng5ive, I'm from WL too!, I loved last years or even month ago's Green supremes, picked up 10 bags last week and there are Awfull!! like you said, unless I burn on a 3 out of 5 to get the heat in my house up, Firesides used to be my fav years ago, seems over the mass border GS are called Northeast blend on the bag, Enfield sell's Appalachian Hardwoods which now sucks, Heard all locals are selling pellets made by Lignetics, just go out and try several bags from TSC, last year Lowes pellets were not good either, I returned them.
My Advice is to go up to Westfield or West springfields HD and try several bags Heard TSC wasn't too bad

Last edited:
I called tsc in Southwick and they said they had 20 to 25 skids of softwood pellets. I'm reading online that they are rebagged easy blaze but I'm not 100 % sure. Reviews on their website dating from 2019 seem positive.

In the past I've always gotten hamers hot ones from bt pellet in Suffield but it's hard to justify a 60$ jump in price. Paid 280/ ton last year. They're at 340$ right now.

I usually stick to CT home depot but I think I'm going to head up to Westfield HD and see if their pellets are a different brand than CT gets.

I use Lowe’s Greene team. They seem good.
Not to be confused with green supreme which is their less expensive brand.

Last edited:
I called tsc in Southwick and they said they had 20 to 25 skids of softwood pellets. I'm reading online that they are rebagged easy blaze but I'm not 100 % sure. Reviews on their website dating from 2019 seem positive.

In the past I've always gotten hamers hot ones from bt pellet in Suffield but it's hard to justify a 60$ jump in price. Paid 280/ ton last year. They're at 340$ right now.

I usually stick to CT home depot but I think I'm going to head up to Westfield HD and see if their pellets are a different brand than CT gets.
I'm pretty sure they have GS, saw them in Fall, if there Northeast blend give them a try, also called TSC and Southwick has Softwoods for $7.59 a bag or $379 a ton..No Thanks!!

Went to TSC in Southwick this morning. Their softwood pellets are Minuteman Pellet Company supreme Douglas fir. Paid 369 I think per ton. We had a gift card to burn up so I applied that. That price is kind of nutty but being able to use a gift card made a difference for out of pocket costs.

Found this http://www.woodpelletsexperts.com/pricing.html

So on paper they look good. High heat and low ash. Well see how the stove likes them.

Went to TSC in Southwick this morning. Their softwood pellets are Minuteman Pellet Company supreme Douglas fir. Paid 369 I think per ton. We had a gift card to burn up so I applied that. That price is kind of nutty but being able to use a gift card made a difference for out of pocket costs.

So on paper they look good. High heat and low ash. Well see how the stove likes them.
How are those $$$ pellets doing?

Unfortunately I haven't burned any yet. I was waiting on a new flip top flue cap that I want to install and clean my flex pipe at the same time. Hoping to get to it today and burn the first bag this evening.

Those are the Northern Warmth Supreme Douglas Fir, very good price and a GREAT pellet. You will be pleased.

I bought 5 bags of the regular white bag pellets from TSC, barcode says there Maine woods pellets and there burning great!, alot better than the last batch of GS from HD, there very small size so many drop and keep a steady high flame

Reactions: Harmanizer
So far so good. Clean burning. Not as hot as hamers but I'll take a clean pellet with less ash all day. Had them in the stove for about 4 days continuously burning and the glass is still nice and clean.

I bought a few bag's at Southwick TSC to try, sounds like there not worth the money

Cleaned the stove Sat and tried Minuteman, there real nice and hot with very low ash, 12 hours later dont see much ash around my burnpot, wonder if TSC Southwick still has them?

Cleaned the stove Sat and tried Minuteman, there real nice and hot with very low ash, 12 hours later dont see much ash around my burnpot, wonder if TSC Southwick still has them?
Minuteman is a good pellet, same pellet as Northern Warmth!

Minuteman is a good pellet, same pellet as Northern Warmth!
No. Not the same. Burn the minute man for a few weeks. Good heat a lot of Ash. Now burning Northern warmth Supreme firs. Ridiculously hot and very zilch for ash but pricey. Getting 90 degrees hotter using digital thermal gun.

No. Not the same. Burn the minute man for a few weeks. Good heat a lot of Ash. Now burning Northern warmth Supreme firs. Ridiculously hot and very zilch for ash but pricey. Getting 90 degrees hotter using digital thermal gun.
In Mass they come from the same rail car. Maybe a lower blend. The one’s I was speaking of were in a purple bag and were Douglas Fir Supremes.

Reactions: Pellet-King
In Mass they come from the same rail car. Maybe a lower blend. The one’s I was speaking of were in a purple bag and were Douglas Fir Supremes.
15813785764645788488243059440243.jpg

bought Minuteman supreme Fir's at TSC and they really have very very little ash, maybe you got a different batch Tony as they sell 3 different blends...i'm still pissed Eagles beat the Patriots

bought Minuteman supreme Fir's at TSC and they really have very very little ash, maybe you got a different batch Tony as they sell 3 different blends...i'm still pissed Eagles beat the Patriots
Wanted to ask if everone is still happy with their Minuteman Douglas Fir Supremes these last few years? Rumour has it they are the exact same pellet as Northern Warmth Supremes.

Everyone is out of stock of Turman's around me so I might give the Minuteman DF Supremes a go.

Jeff

Wanted to ask if everone is still happy with their Minuteman Douglas Fir Supremes these last few years? Rumour has it they are the exact same pellet as Northern Warmth Supremes.

Everyone is out of stock of Turman's around me so I might give the Minuteman DF Supremes a go.

Jeff
burned them in the past/...
I would say maybe 1 tick below the NW.. Maybe 2nd best doug fir out there..
both brands are around 88-9000 btu.. minuteman a bit more ash..... but close enough to NW so no biggie.

Reactions: JCturboT
Anyone find Le Crete at Home Depot this year ? Bought 2 pallets last year just over the border at HD in Brewster, NY. By far the best pellets I have been able to buy at a big box ever, so far this year no luck, just the usual stove shows and green supremes.

Anyone find Le Crete at Home Depot this year ? Bought 2 pallets last year just over the border at HD in Brewster, NY. By far the best pellets I have been able to buy at a big box ever, so far this year no luck, just the usual stove shows and green supremes.
lucky you..
most HD'S in the east here have replaced the old standard Stove chows with the Green Supremes.[ distributed by Lignetics]..
no plus or minus here,, same middle rd high ash pellets,

Home Depot in Worcester is full of Northeast pellets and some Green Supreme. Last year at this time I was scoring La Crete’s at the Auburn HD. 299.00 for 60 bags coupled with 10% discount. I guess those days are over. I know the reviews on Northeast are not good. Any input? I was thinking of trying a few bags.

I tried Northeast pellets last year when our local Lowes was running low on everything else. My stove can pretty much burn anything but they were BAD. Too much moisture, soot, huge clinkers, excessive fines. I made it through I think a bag and a half before I scooped the rest out of my stove and returned all the unopened bags. My stove usually does fine with middle of the road and so-so pellets like Green Supreme, Curran, TSC (they're from Dry Creek here) as long as I keep it clean, but it didn't like these at all.

You guys out east have brands I've never heard of. Only thing around here are Somersets (if you can find them), Michigan hardwood (which is what I use) and Lignetics from their Pigeon River, Michigan plant.

Don't much care what I roast anyway. pellets for me just keep the corn clinkers under control.