Cub engine queston?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like lukem's suggestion, and will have to try that next. I have a bunch of heavy glass plates around, and I usually either just use water (which helps it stick a little, but you still have to hold it in place by hand), or spray adhesive. The spray adhesive is great for keeping it in place, but it's tricky to get that stuff perfectly flat. The soda would be about perfect.

Another idea I just came up with is hair spray. I always have a can of Aqua Net in the shop, which I use for things like installing handle-bar grips on bikes. Slippery lube when wet, sticky as all heck when dry.

Hair spray is a good idea too.

Reactions: smokinj and Jags
Hair spray is a good idea too.

Think I will wait till that beer I took out of the freezer thaws out. Give it a try. :eek: j/k I have coke in the shop but I draw the line at hair spray! ;lol

Reactions: Jags
With all those wimmen folk in your house you probably have a ton of hairspray. Use what you gots.

Reactions: smokinj
With all those wimmen folk in your house you probably have a ton of hairspray. Use what you gots.

You are right and that's where the refusal comes from. ;)

And just bringing it to your attention - Aqua Net is a righteous fuel for spud guns.:cool: So it can be "man" justified in the shop.;lol

And just bringing it to your attention - Aqua Net is a righteous fuel for spud guns.:cool: So it can be "man" justified in the shop.;lol

Full disclosure: that's the real reason I have two cans of it in the shop. Left over from one drunken summer in my 20's. Now it gets used for things like installing bicycle hand grips and sticking SiC paper to flat surfaces...

<-- finally tossed the spud gun when moving in 2011

I have black powder and a cannon....:eek:

Reactions: Jags
Really, once you're up over 120 grit, a grafoil type head gasket is going to seal up just fine. Hell the factory finish is from a fly cutter. ;)

Reactions: Ashful and smokinj
Really, once you're up over 120 grit, a grafoil type head gasket is going to seal up just fine. Hell the factory finish is from a fly cutter. ;)

That is kind of what I was thinking. Heck I could shave with it right now at 220. ;)

That is kind of what I was thinking. Heck I could shave with it right now at 220. ;)
You should be fine.. Not like it's a 12:1 compression race motor.;) Just the fact that it's flat now will be a big improvement sealing...

I never seen a head this shiny. Now I did use a little soap and water with the 220 that should have sputum me closer to a 300-350 grit on the back side of that piece of paper.

Putting it back together. Thursday night. Should be able to do a video I hope.

Its all back together but cant find torque wrench.

It'll is brand new cant figure out how or why its been moved. Headed to the state fair band championship today.

Its alive. 45 mine. And I will re-toque and its done. OIL LEAK. CAUSE BY GOVERNER TURN UP TO HIGH.

We used to have two torque settings for less critical applications:

1. A grunt.
2. A grunt and a fart.

Sound it out.

;lol I've heard that before (and use/love it myself), but head bolts are worth a torque wrench. ;)

I have done it many a time and said "click click" and depended on the "calibrated wrist" and sent a Chinook helicopter on its way. Never lost one that didn't have bullet holes in it.

Of course one day in the bush I did that with drive shaft bolts and the pilot made me ride back with them instead of the bird that brought me out there. >>

Reactions: smokinj and Ashful
I have done it many a time and said "click click" and depended on the "calibrated wrist" and sent a Chinook helicopter on its way. Never lost one that didn't have bullet holes in it.

Of course one day in the bush I did that with drive shaft bolts and the pilot made me ride back with them instead of the bird that brought me out there. >>
And here you are :) Bolts were just fine! ;) Some good ole' common sense... some people have no feel for tightening bolts... The owners son of the Harley dealer I worked for was notorious for stripping bolts.. I'd see him work on something and watch as he overtightened something... Next time the machine came in and I took his bolts out, I was installing Heli coils. That's how I found out his feel for tightness sucked!

I will say that I almost always use a torque wrench on anything aluminum. My wrist calibration is out of spec for it.

25-30 lbs is way to hard for me to guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.