Cubex, North Americans, Northern Lights, Purcell Doug fir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Sickler251

Oct 28, 2014
CT
I am on a bit of a trial run on a bunch of pellets i can find locally and figured i would share what i have found so far. (This is my first year burning pellets)

Cubex (ordered 3 ton at the time i bought my stove Harman 52i insert, was supposedly the best pellet they had at the time, have burned just over 1 ton): Heat seems pretty dang high. Average about a 1/8 cup of loose stuff in the bags. Higher ash. Clean ash pan and glass every 3 or 4 days.

North Americans (15 bags burned): Heat is low, Ash is high. Compared to the Cubex, my stove struggles to keep the house warm during cold days and nights 10° F and below. Stove ran all night burning a lot more pellets then normal, and creates a lot of ash. Ash pan would have to be emptied every 2 days.

Northern Lights (2 of 4 bags burned): Heat seems on par with the Cubex. Ash is low. So far the best pellet i have burned. Although the weather has warmed up a bit so heat output is hard to tell. I am holding 2 bags to test when the temps drop back down. (Will try to update at that point)

Purcell Dour Fir's (0 of 4 bags burned): I have high hopes for these as they were pretty $$. Waiting for cold weather. (again will try to update soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.