Customize look for Drolet 1800-i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tathspts

Jan 4, 2020
Montreal
So I have drolet 1800-i wood insert. I purchased it last year and I have used it a couple of time and have no complaints so far. In-fact I like it a lot. My only problem has got to be that how ugly it looks, considering that huge ugly faceplate it comes with and that 4 inch outward protruding blower motor assembly.

I have tried to research online and have have not been able to find replacement for faceplate and bower fan. I am not even sure I was looking for the right thing as I am still a beginner in this hearth game. The way I understand it, both faceplate and bower fan seems to be detachable units. So I should be able to find replacement parts for it.

I am looking at this matrix 2700 wood insert by osburn and I quite like the look of it. I wonder how can I customize the look of my drolet 1800-i to look like matrix 2700. I am sure it will never be quite the same thing, but close enough will do the job.

Maybe I will come across a close enough faceplate one day if I am lucky, but is it possible to find a replacement for the blower assembly that has smaller footprint?

Thank you.

Drolet stoves tend to be more utilitarian (with the exception of the new Cape Town) in appearance but good performers at a reasonable price. In my business, what you are wanting to do would probably fall under the category of "putting lipstick on a pig". If I was bent on improving the appearance of my 1800 (it has crossed my mind more than once) I would design custom parts and have them made. Problem is, if I did that I would have been better off (dollar wise) buying the more aesthetically pleasing Osburn counterpart in the first place.

Maybe a better route at this point would be to adorn the mantel above the stove with some nice objects to draw ones eye away from the stove. Otherwise, I would just enjoy the nice heat, low maintenance, and go out and buy a nice toy with the money you saved.

when I purchase my Drolet insert last year I didn't know much about the game. Drolet seemed like easier and cheaper option to go with. I kind of feel bad for not going with Osburn back then, but again I didn't even know Osburn existed until recently.

I share your thoughts, I was just curious to see if some fix like what I am looking for existed and I didn't know about them.

The nickel trim does draw the eye away from the blower. Modifications I would try and see if I could make a make a semi circular shroud that would start 2-6” from the edge of the faceplate, clear the blower corners and back tot he other side. Just to Soften to blowers Appearance. Easier yet just make it from the corner of the Faceplate to the blower corner. Maybe just pulling the insert out further him you have the room and clearances might help Disguise the blower I’ve almost bought one tree times. But I thinks it’s the blower that has kept the money in my pocket.

evan

Honestly I don't mind the blower as much as I do the faceplate.

Blower infact can look classy while sitting on a hearth, doesn't look as good with a hearth at floor level.

Matrix 2700 also has a protruding blower, maybe not as much as with Drolet.

I wish I could find a nicer looking faceplate. I am sure it can change the whole look.

Optional cuttable face from drolet its $150 but honestly you could go to a metal supplier get some 18ga sheet metal and angle iron and bolt it together I did this for a Lopi Freedom I just didn't like the black surround that came with it. Also a free standing fireplace mantle may work I believe this one is metal. lopi.jpg125764339_10158853567898688_4973804166221231758_o.jpg

isn't the faceplate drolet comes with is cuttable? I have thought about cutting it to match my fireplace's size before right now it is 42x50inches which looks quite huge. My fireplace opening is 29x33inches and I thought of cutting it to about 32x36inches but I wasn't sure how will it look after I cut it. It also comes with nickel trim which I will have to cut as well and it has 45 degree angle at the corner.

If it was wood working I would have tackle it the first day, but this seems like a job of a tin smith.

isn't the faceplate drolet comes with is cuttable? I have thought about cutting it to match my fireplace's size before right now it is 42x50inches which looks quite huge. My fireplace opening is 29x33inches and I thought of cutting it to about 32x36inches but I wasn't sure how will it look after I cut it. It also comes with nickel trim which I will have to cut as well and it has 45 degree angle at the corner.

If it was wood working I would have tackle it the first day, but this seems like a job of a tin smith.
Find a local sheet metal shop that has a laser. They can precision cut the surround pieces to whatever you want.

Reactions: tathspts
the local steel yard I use charges $2 per shear I usually walk around and look for off-fall they charge by the pound on that

I've had my 1800i for 6 seasons. It's great. I'm about to customize my face plate too!

I'll post pics when I do, but basically I've removed the large faceplate all together, and I'm just going to make a little picture frame out of break metal and paint it black, leaving the space open, just black "frame" lining the hole. Hard to describe, I'll post pics when done but it's really just a simple trim around the hole, leaving the hole open. I think it will look clean and simple.

Def would like to see how it turns out.

I believe there is a market gap here when comes to selling customized faceplates.

If any of you guys here are tin smiths or a mfg unit who is willing and can ship customized faceplates, I will bring you business. True story.

Reactions: ctswf