Cut Some ash today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I had a couple standing dead ash trees on the road that the county cut down. I don't have a place for them to stack the wood at the road since my property drops towards the road so they put it on the other side of the road on my neighbors property. I called the neighbor today to let them know I was going to cut the couple trees the county left. I also asked if he'd like me to cut up the stuff the county left from his property while I was there and bring it down to the house. He told me not to bother bringing anything to the house and take all that I wanted and he also pointed me towards some downed trees in the woods(didn't touch those today I was worn out after getting the "easy" stuff). Anyway I plan to get them something nice to show my thanks for the wood.

Not many grabs easier than driving down the drive to the wood pile, cutting, splitting the pieces to manageable pieces, loading up and dumping it at home.

Here are some pictures of the day.(yes the little half ton is over loaded but I didn't have to travel the roads unless you count crossing the road) ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 186
  • 2 First Load.jpg
    2 First Load.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 3 0422121725.jpg
    3 0422121725.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 4 0422121725a.jpg
    4 0422121725a.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Little Man.jpg
    Little Man.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: smokinj
No such thing as "easy stuff" some is easier than other but it's all hard work.
Nice score & very close to home. Sounds like you doubled your score since the neighbor don't want it.
Looks like you have some good help too :)
What a great day eh? ;)

Just a heads-up; The dirty truck is detracting from the beauty of the wood. ;)
Seriously, nice-lookin' load...no wasted space in the bed. _g
Good on ya for offering to get the neighbors some wood; That's the way to build good will, and they'll think of you first anytime they come across any wood.

Got some across the road the other day, only I had to make a bunch of trips with the quad and little trailer. I could have gotten my Excursion and trailer right to it, but my neighbors are funny folks. Didn't want me to put ruts in the fallow field. Quad is more fun, anyway.
I've got a couple more to drop, if the wind would let up. One of them is going the other way, into the other neighbor's field. He said I could do what I want, but I know they're gonna have beans there soon. Then probably wheat in the fall. So, maybe next summer if I don't get it done this week.

Just a heads-up; The dirty truck is detracting from the beauty of the wood. ;)

Seriously, nice-lookin' load...no wasted space in the bed. _g

Good on ya for offering to get the neighbors some wood; That's the way to build good will, and they'll think of you first anytime they come across any wood.

My vehicles are always dirty due to the amount of dirt roads I travel. I've given up trying to keep them clean. :)

Those neighbors have 30 acres and a pretty large part of it is woods. They heat with wood and have plenty, the neighbor is dealing with some back issues right now so that's one of the reasons I made the offer. He had some huge ash trees taken down at the same time they took mine down that were on the side of of the road so those will hold him for a year or two. I figure he just didn't want to mess with the other ones.

No such thing as "easy stuff" some is easier than other but it's all hard work.

Nice score & very close to home. Sounds like you doubled your score since the neighbor don't want it.

Looks like you have some good help too :)

What a great day eh? ;)

Easy compared to most. ;) After cutting that wood it really is making a case for me to bring in a load of logs in the future.

My little man sure tries to be helpful, I can't wait till he's really capable of helping. He just turned 3 so my exceptions have to be realistic. Of course by that point he'll no longer be interested in helping. :)

It was indeed a good day!

[quote="rdust, post: 1112089, member: 10080"

My little man sure tries to be helpful, I can't wait till he's really capable of helping. He just turned 3 so my exceptions have to be realistic. Of course by that point he'll no longer be interested in helping. :)

It was indeed a good day![/quote]

You'll be surprised, if he's helping now (or at least think's he's helping) as he grows, he'll want to do even more as he gets older,
(now exclude the teen age years, remember them???, & you turned out OK ) LOL
Takes twice as long when they help at that age, but what they are learning pays big dividends in the future ;)

Good for you rdust. I'm surprised as it seems you have some other new duties to tend to right now. But, working with that little one has to be great.

Nice looking load but the best pic is "Little Man"......looks like some really good help;)

He really tries to be a big helper, he actually pulled the lever a few times while I was splitting. He got a kick out of that before his 3 year old attention span kicked in. :)

Good for you rdust. I'm surprised as it seems you have some other new duties to tend to right now. But, working with that little one has to be great.

"Mommy" had the new addition under control. She was probably happy to get the two of us out of her hair for a bit. My in-laws have been staying with us since she had the baby so I wasn't leaving her alone.

Reactions: tfdchief
Good for you to get out then for a bit rdust. We've been wondering how things have been since she came home.

Nice haul, Cool pics,('specially lil man), and congrats on the new addition!

Status
Not open for further replies.