Cutting a chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 16, 2014
Cedar Grove
I purchased a new woodstove (a woodstock progress hybrid) which has a different hole location than our last one. In fact, I am installing an elbow out of the top of the new woodstock which puts the thimble location 42" higher than the other one.

Here's my question: what is the best way to raise and cut the chimney liner to accommodate the new hole location? I can access the top of the chimney and raise it from the top, but I need some way to support it so that I can have my hands free to cut it. I obviously don't want to cut it and have the liner fall to the bottom of the chimney. I also don't want to fall off of the roof...

Any ideas?

When I did it, my top plate had a hose clamp on it. So, I just pulled the liner up through the top plate, turned the screw on the clamp, and cut it with my $15 angle grinder with cut-off wheel.

Don't let anyone tell you that tin snips are the tool to cut it. Makes a mess, pain in the ass.

Angle grinder with cut-off wheel. Like butter.

Plus, if you don't already have an angle grinder, you will find it indespensable once you have one. There's a good, paddle switch one on sale at harbor freight this month.

I second the angle grinder method. Its one of my most often used tools and in some cases seems like nothing else would work.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I used tin snips several years ago when I did my liner--others are right it was a PITA. I didn't have an angle grinder then, but it definitely would have been a better tool for the job.

When I did it, my top plate had a hose clamp on it. So, I just pulled the liner up through the top plate, turned the screw on the clamp, and cut it with my $15 angle grinder with cut-off wheel.

Don't let anyone tell you that tin snips are the tool to cut it. Makes a mess, pain in the ass.

Angle grinder with cut-off wheel. Like butter.

Plus, if you don't already have an angle grinder, you will find it indespensable once you have one. There's a good, paddle switch one on sale at harbor freight this month.

Thank you! I have an angle grinder. I guess I will just have to see if someone can hold the liner down below because it's going to take two hands for me to pull it up and hold it. I won't have a way to reposition the clamp on the top.

Thank you! I have an angle grinder. I guess I will just have to see if someone can hold the liner down below because it's going to take two hands for me to pull it up and hold it. I won't have a way to reposition the clamp on the top.
I think I might have had someone down below pushing to hold it in place while I clamped.

Do you have a top plate.