Cutting Down Splits... Any Ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I also sometimes use a miter saw with a framing blade. I’m not sure I would want to do a whole winters worth of wood at once, but maybe a weeks worth at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffm1
All of those are great idea's, also you use a band saw

Miter saw will work. Be careful. Irregular shaped splits will occasionally bind the blade and then it gets spooky! Buddy of mine "helped" chunk up a pile for me. Unfortunately his eye was trained for very long pieces for his add on furnace:eek: I spent quite some time making bigger into smaller etc. Rather not do it again!

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Some where in the archives of Hearth.com is a great thread from like 8 years ago which answers this question with the most effective method of cutting down large quantities of firewood. If you build a simple jig, you can cut many splits down to size very quickly. Perhaps one of our fabulous moderators will help us and add a link to the old thread.

Some where in the archives of Hearth.com is a great thread from like 8 years ago which answers this question with the most effective method of cutting down large quantities of firewood. If you build a simple jig, you can cut many splits down to size very quickly. Perhaps one of our fabulous moderators will help us and add a link to the old thread.

Take your pick:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/logs-to-long.163667/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/h-frame-for-cutting.67726/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/does-a-cut-off-saw-or-chop-saw-exist-for-wood.67273/

Reactions: dafattkidd
TreePointer, Bingo! Thanks! It was a post from Zap from a long time ago that I was referring to. However, in one of the links above, TreePointer posted this picture of an H Frame Saw buck, and that is exactly what I was talking about. The one Zap built had a back to it which served as a guide for the new desired length, but this version will work just as well.

01Logstrap.jpg

Reactions: Jeffm1
This works for me....got this idea from the forum here...mine is much larger than the one I saw here...I load it up and cinch it down with a ratchet strap and grab my 660 and let it rip...I didn't want to play around with a arm full
IMG_3012.jpg
at a time.

I tried the miter saw....that was painfully slow and not to mention dangerous..especially if a piece was out of round or had a odd shape to it and not lay flat a perfect you....had more than one piece try to leave out on its own...and slam the blade to a screaming halt. The miter saw will work if you have a small amount but I have a couple cord yet to do....