Cutting firewood into boards

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I have some beautiful logs I would like to make a shed with the wood. I would hate to use the chainsaw and a lumber maker. Is there a ban saw or something I could use to cut 1" x 6"?

I think it was northern tool or harbor freight had a guide that attachs to a chainsaw to cut boards. Not sure how accurate or expensive but give it a try!

Chainsaw guides for ripping boards also require a different chain. This is a real power hog way to cut boards with any hardwood.

There are lots of bandsaw mill systems out there. I've cut a few boards here and there on my 15" bandsaw, but not enough to make a shed or anything.

Best bet may be to contact a local lumbermill.

There are those that have portable band saw mills that are towed behind a truck to the log site. A friend had one of these guys come over to cut up some logs of cedar and fir. I don't know how much it costs though. Happily I got the slabs for free.

I agree, try to find a local mill and have then cut them up for you.

We had a fellow come in with a portable mill a few years back to cut just what you are wanting. Don't remember the cost per thousand but it was very reasonable. Or if you have a way, you can take the logs to a mill to have them cut to your specs. One other way is to barter. Logs for lumber. It can be done.

I use the Haddon lumbermaker quite a bit and I have to agree I hate to use it and only do so when I'm cutting one small log - tremendous waste in the kerf of the chainsaw's cut. For any number of nice large logs, having them trucked to the local mill is well worth the cost of hauling. If there's no mill around and no one with a portable bandsaw mill you'll have no money saving options but the ole lumbermaker.

I had a mill for my chainsaw years ago that is used for squaring fence posts. PITA to use.

When all is considered you might be better off burning your logs and buying "rough cut" planks from the mill.

Rough cut,undried lumber is (at least used to be ) a lot cheaper than Kiln Dried,dimensional lumber and works fine for woodsheds,barns etc.

Beisdes then you can order only wht you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.