cutting in new thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8nrider

Aug 15, 2008
new hampshire
trying to cut in a new thimble in a block chimney w/ 8"round tile. any suggestions from some one that has done this. thought i might drill a series of holes in the tile like i did with the block. but i really dont think i have enough beer for this method. considering getting a 4" grinder in there. any suggestions ??? thanks

Do both. Drill the holes and then join the dots.

i'm assuming i most be using the wrong type of bit. do they make a diamond. or should i just go get more beer cuz this masonary bit isn't cutting it. no pun intended.

You need to use a masonry bit on a BFH drill!
You can probably rent one from a local True Value or Ace HW Store...
I always did the pilot holes with a 1/2" diameter then used the flat chisel bit in the same hammer drill - in the non-rotation mode - to join the dots...
HTH

hey daksy i'm no mason but my understanding is that the tile is a brittle product. if i'm wrong let me know, i can put the hilti right to her with a 1/2" bit. but i really would hate to crack it.

when you say non rotational do you mean HAMMER?

I would use a much smaller bit like the 5/16ths that cable installers use. You need a hammer drill but you don't have to "put it to her" hard. If you're worried about cracking it, score a groove with the angle grinder first.

OK I misread...Saw the block part but missed the tile...
I'd use the bigger drill on the block & then use smaller one on the tile
- even a tap con bit in a Dewalt cordless hammer drill would work...
It's kinda hard to get somethin in there to work on the tile tho...
A Dumore or Dremel might work for scoring/smoothing the terra cotta...
Good Luck, which ever way you go, but make sure to report back on the
positives/negatives of your experience...
This could be good schooling for the rest of us... :smirk:

well its a done deal. i ended up using a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade. cut a sgaure out of the center , scored the perimeter as deep as i could. then made a series of relief cuts from the center to the perimeter, carefully tapped with a hammer breaking off the pieces. cleaned up the edge with the grinder. all that needs to be done is let the dust settle, and there was alot of dust!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.