cutting metal firebox for gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob Montreal

Oct 29, 2020
Montreal
Hi!

I hope you are doing well!

We are looking at purchasing a gas insert to go into our exiting wood burning firebox because the local regulations have changed in our area and we are no longer permitted to burn wood in our existing set-up. We have natural gas in the house so we decided to go that route. We have an issu with the dimensions of the metal firebox. The problematic area is the back slope of the firebox because it constrains the avalable area greatly. The places that we have called for quotes have a great difficulty finding an insert that fits (Majestic or Enviro).
I was wondering if it is possible to cut into the slopped area of the metal firebox and remove that portion which obstructs the insert? What is the impact of removing a portion of that? does it support anything?

What are your thoughts?

Thanking you in advance.
Robert

If you have to cut the firebox, confer with a local mason or chimney sweep to determine
if what you want to do will compromise the integrity of the structure.
You DO have another option, though. If you can find a good welder, He can extend the
return panels on the insert's surround to bring the unit farther out onto the hearth.
The extension only needs to be enough for clearance purposes, so the insert doesn't hit
the rear slope of the firebox.
This is a very common practice where I work, & the finished product
looks really good if your welder knows what he's doing...

You have a manufactured metal fireplace with a round metal chimney correct? Or a masonry fireplace and chimney?

If you have to cut the firebox, confer with a local mason or chimney sweep to determine
if what you want to do will compromise the integrity of the structure.
You DO have another option, though. If you can find a good welder, He can extend the
return panels on the insert's surround to bring the unit farther out onto the hearth.
The extension only needs to be enough for clearance purposes, so the insert doesn't hit
the rear slope of the firebox.
This is a very common practice where I work, & the finished product
looks really good if your welder knows what he's doing...

Thank you for the advice. The gas insert will definitely hide the welding if any is done. I will have it checked out by a chimney guy. Have a great day

You have a manufactured metal fireplace with a round metal chimney correct? Or a masonry fireplace and chimney?

It is a fireplace that has a stone facing and has a metal firebox which is 20.5 inches deep but the back portion which is flat is only 8 inches high before it starts to slope forward. That pitch is where the gas inserts have trouble fitting. The chimney is brick.

Attachments

• IMG_0966(1).JPEG
    IMG_0966(1).JPEG
    49.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0961.JPEG
    IMG_0961.JPEG
    116.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0962(1).JPEG
    IMG_0962(1).JPEG
    129.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0960.JPEG
    IMG_0960.JPEG