cutting question # 3 Exhust fumes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Yesterday and today - I spent about 4 hours each day cutting 2 truck loads 4 total. From 9am to noon or so. For the most part - it was steady cutting - resting the saw to load the truck and then sharpening the chain and then back at it. That worked great.

However, after a shower - I could still smell the saw, today too. The two stroke smoke CAN'T be good for you. Can't make that smell go away in my nose and lungs.

I was in Tractor Supply and right there with the chain saws, they had those mask the painters wear when they spray paint. Does anyone wear one of these? - or maybe they are just out there for those who suffer alergies this time of year? Probably wouldn't make a difference and would be a major pain to work with.

Some guys love that 2 stroke smoke. I'm not a fan of it. My nose runs like a faucet and my throat is raw from the smell. I'm burning synthetic. I guess the smell is just part of it.

I have worn the painters mask when I weld sometimes (flux core wire is a bit smokey) . I dont wear one when I cut because it doesnt bother me. I would say try it, if it works thats one less problem in life.

Are you mixing the right ratio? You make it sound worse than I find it to be. The wife on the other hand won't let me in the house with my stinky clothes and makes me get nekkid outside.

A day later - I'm fine.

Just had to wine abit yesterday and turn in my man card.

I am mixing 50:1 and I really don't see any smoke at all - just chips flying (I like that part).

But for atleast a day, I can't seem to shake the fumes.

Maybe you can get an electric saw for the small stuff and run the 2 stroke for the heavies?

Depending on how bad it is for you maybe an electric on a long cord from a generator is the way to go.

Matt

The saw dust will get you worse than any smoke will. Here lately the winds have been strong making for an eye full and sneezing alot.

I notice the exhaust smell sticks to my clothing and hands after extended cutting (a few tankfulls in a day on the saw). My solution? Work clothes for cutting that stay out of my living area and gloves. A good handwashing or quick shower banishes whatever is left after I change my clothes.

mayhem said:
I notice the exhaust smell sticks to my clothing and hands after extended cutting (a few tankfulls in a day on the saw). My solution? Work clothes for cutting that stay out of my living area and gloves. A good handwashing or quick shower banishes whatever is left after I change my clothes.
Thats werd i have never smelled that on me unless i spill it on myself. (my saws have very little smoke as it is)

Could be as simple as saw design too. My cheap Craftsman probably dumps fumes back at the operator more than yours does.

I might be more senstitve to it too. Or I'm just a bit of a loon. Probably be a combination of the three.

mayhem said:
Could be as simple as saw design too. My cheap Craftsman probably dumps fumes back at the operator more than yours does.

I might be more senstitve to it too. Or I'm just a bit of a loon. Probably be a combination of the three.
LOL! found a old pair of motorcycle goggles in the garage sunday Iam going to see if it helps with the sawdust in the eyes,Iam still picking sawdust out of them today

LLigetfa said:
Are you mixing the right ratio? You make it sound worse than I find it to be. The wife on the other hand won't let me in the house with my stinky clothes and makes me get nekkid outside.

:) My wife doesn't make me stay outside, but she says I smell really bad after after working with the saw or riding on the sled all day . . . I now am in the habit of taking off my clothes in the garage and the clothes either get washed ASAP or they stay in the garage . . . and I end up going to the shower.

basswidow said:
Yesterday and today - I spent about 4 hours each day cutting 2 truck loads 4 total. From 9am to noon or so. For the most part - it was steady cutting - resting the saw to load the truck and then sharpening the chain and then back at it. That worked great.

However, after a shower - I could still smell the saw, today too. The two stroke smoke CAN'T be good for you. Can't make that smell go away in my nose and lungs.

I was in Tractor Supply and right there with the chain saws, they had those mask the painters wear when they spray paint. Does anyone wear one of these? - or maybe they are just out there for those who suffer alergies this time of year? Probably wouldn't make a difference and would be a major pain to work with.

Some guys love that 2 stroke smoke. I'm not a fan of it. My nose runs like a faucet and my throat is raw from the smell. I'm burning synthetic. I guess the smell is just part of it.

I don't mind the smell of two stroke engines . . . not that I stand around just inhaling the vapors like a fine wine though either.

As another person mentioned you might want to try experimenting with some of the synthetic oils . . . my brother-in-law uses Polaris Synthetic oil in his sled and while it is expensive I swear to you that it smells exactly like bubblegum . . . man, I could ride all day behind that sled. Another oil out there (can't remember the brand) smells like strawberries.

The funny thing is - my mercury outboard is 2 stroke and I love that smell, but it's usually behind me and I'm moving fast. It's not a tool I hold in my hands between me and a log where the exhaust comes back on you. You are up close with a chainsaw vs a boat motor. So I get alot more of the fumes.

I always wear safety glasses when I cut and even loading rounds into my truck as they are dust covered and it can get into your eyes. I did have a close one yesterday in the big log pile at the construction site. One of the stumps shifted and fell in toward me - near miss. Could have been serious as I'm sure it weighed alot. Cutting logs from a big high pile - I worry every time I get through a log and the whole pile shifts some. I've almost got it down to ground level now! Getting alot of good wood. I should be set now and will gather all I can for the following year.

firefighterjake said:
I don't mind the smell of two stroke engines . . . not that I stand around just inhaling the vapors like a fine wine though either.

As another person mentioned you might want to try experimenting with some of the synthetic oils . . . my brother-in-law uses Polaris Synthetic oil in his sled and while it is expensive I swear to you that it smells exactly like bubblegum . . . man, I could ride all day behind that sled. Another oil out there (can't remember the brand) smells like strawberries.

Bubblegum and strawberry's. That would be an improvement. I am burning synthetic, Red something...

I did cut one tree yesterday and each cut smelled like popcorn - seriously. Not sure what kind of wood it is - very white inside and gray bark. Another wood I cut - the chips looked like yellow rice and smelled awful like animal urin. I

Status
Not open for further replies.