Daikin Mini-Split price quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trispad

Nov 26, 2014
Blacksburg, VA
Hi all,

I know some of you are in the HVAC business and was hoping you all could give me your opinion on a quote for getting Daikin mini-splits installed in my house. Here is what I am looking at:

Unit 1: 4 zone (3 bedrooms, 1 office)
  • 4MXS36NMVJU (outdoor unit)
  • FTXS09LVJU x 2
  • FTXS12LVJU
  • CTXS07LVJU
Unit 2: 1 zone (Large great room with high ceilings)
  • RXS30LVJU (outdoor unit)
  • FTXS30LVJU
They want $17.5K for everything installed. Does this seem excessively high? Pricing on-line, it looks like I could buy the units for around $7,200. Is $10K in labor sound right? I am going to get more quotes, but just want to calibrate my expectations.

Thanks for any input,

trispad

Hi all,

I know some of you are in the HVAC business and was hoping you all could give me your opinion on a quote for getting Daikin mini-splits installed in my house. Here is what I am looking at:

Unit 1: 4 zone (3 bedrooms, 1 office)
  • 4MXS36NMVJU (outdoor unit)
  • FTXS09LVJU x 2
  • FTXS12LVJU
  • CTXS07LVJU
Unit 2: 1 zone (Large great room with high ceilings)
  • RXS30LVJU (outdoor unit)
  • FTXS30LVJU
They want $17.5K for everything installed. Does this seem excessively high? Pricing on-line, it looks like I could buy the units for around $7,200. Is $10K in labor sound right? I am going to get more quotes, but just want to calibrate my expectations.

Thanks for any input,

trispad
Bump (from another in Blacksburg) Good luck.

i wire these units a lot. that is not to bad a price at least up here in boston area. up here it would be more like 20k. beside the units there is a lot of things to buy that raise the price from just the units. in that price the contractor gives you guys up here include the electrician. sometimes i wind up having to change the circuit panel and sometimes the whole service itself

good luck
frank

That seems like a reasonable price. I had a heat pump/central air unit installed a few years ago and in my research the warranty is what your paying for. If you don't use a licensed dealer/company there is no warranty for self installs.

I run a business and the overhead on HVAC techs is huge. Think vehicles, insurance, wages, etc. You most likely will get a 5 year or 10 year warranty on the units.

Reactions: fbelec
I had a quote for three daikin ceiling cassettes and two wall mounts in our home for 14k.

Also two other quotes for just three wall mounts from a Lennox and Mitsubishi dealers for around 12,500.

Like what was said you are paying for the possibility of warranty repairs as many manufacturers won’t accept self installs.

You could go a no name brand and install it yourself if capable. I have two neighbors that did that and are very pleased with them. The only issue is warranty work would be on you.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Most your cost is labor. Why not look into some of the ones that operate at lower temps?

having a warranty is a good thing i had a run of a few that were under 3 years old and a lightning storm killed the boards. and the house didn't get a direct hit

Our geo system was about 20k once you factor in the incentives. If you had a one story house and ductwork would not be to costly something to consider. Some states have lucrative incentives the fed rebate expired though.

Thanks for all the input everyone. It does help. The warranty would be 10 year parts and labor. I will look into units that can run a lower temps.

Also shout-out to BBurg!

trispad

H ubby put our two units in himself years ago. Well he ha a little help from my brother. Unfortunately the larger Samsung he used a scaffold to instal cause it way up high over 8 ft. up. We bought it ourselves at how alb etc wholesaler. The second unit over the web a smaller Friedrich unit here in our big bedroom. He has a had a little trouble with it. Not much course it hasn't been used much all these years cause we lived in negatory house for almost 6 yr. He has had more trouble with the remotes mostly cause he didn't put on his "reader" glasses....
I thought sure it 9outside unit0 would have been full of those DANG mud robbers.
Speaking of labor cost etc we paid over &00 for our purgatory home outside propane unit to be serviced. The AH charged $105 for a cheap $30 thermostat. Also the fan was covered with mud(lower exhaust fan) The Ah just ordered a new one. Charged over #00 for that. he told he Ah to leave the old pump fan. I should have walked over there where they were suppose to leave it. If we hadn't been in such a hurry(Hubby doesn't like to drive in the dark)
I meant to check myself and grab the old unit. I would have called the AH and told them to bring me back the old uni. Also if Hubby had stressed that the old 5yr old indoor thermostat was supposedly defective I would have gotten an old Honeywell analog unit. We had such back at first city home then later brother installed a new digital top of line set back unit. I hated it and rebought another round gold Honeywell.
Those Ah told me Honeywell didn't make it anymore. I know they prob was lying. They must have thought I was Edith Bunker.....in other words. I think they should show the reg price an item. instead of just acting like labor charges were not much