Damaged Combustion Box in Resolute Acclaim 2490

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Debbie Knapp

Jan 14, 2017
Metro West Boston
Can I use my Resolute Acclaim 2490 with a damaged combustion package. I have ordered new bricks ($200) but the combustion package ($200) is also badly damaged. I'd like to use the stove through the winter - perhaps replace it next year if I can.

Can you bandage it up with some refractory cement?

There are 2 bricks that have sealing plates behind each one with a retainer that holds the in place. The combustion box (they call a combustion package) is very badly damaged. It may have been possible to repair the bricks but they are in many pieces. The combustion box is made of some kind of fiber and more complicated. I'm not quite sure of the function - if it's to help wood burn more efficiently. And not sure if I can go without it for the rest of the season.

It sounds like the stove is due for a rebuild. There may be other issues that need to be addressed and parts replaced. The Acclaim was not VC most durable stove.

Reactions: woodfreak666
There are 2 bricks that have sealing plates behind each one with a retainer that holds the in place. The combustion box (they call a combustion package) is very badly damaged. It may have been possible to repair the bricks but they are in many pieces. The combustion box is made of some kind of fiber and more complicated. I'm not quite sure of the function - if it's to help wood burn more efficiently. And not sure if I can go without it for the rest of the season.
I ripped the combustion package out of my RA. I replaced it with a full wall of fire bricks. Burns well. The burn time is not as long, 4 hours.

It sounds like the stove is due for a rebuild. There may be other issues that need to be addressed and parts replaced. The Acclaim was not VC most durable stove.

Another bonus with a plate steel stove is you don't have to rebuild it every few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's definitely a plus. There are also good simple cast iron stoves that are fine with a rebuild once in 15-20 yrs.