damper and carbon monoxide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokeburner

Dec 3, 2008
southern ohio
After i start up the old smoke dragon i close the damper half way and i dont open it again till reload. maybe fiddle with the primary air every once in a while. Is there any danger of noxuis gases or carbon monoxide doin this. Or will it build up creosote faster

I had 3 smoke dragons with dampers...occasionally the smoke/CO alarms would trip cause during cold start ups early in the season.

Under normal 24/7 operation and closing the damper no more than 45* no the alarms ever never went off.

Of coarse on those rare real cold days like this I would try and close the damper a little more so the stove would throw out more heat...now you can do that but it's hairy. Don't leave the immediate area of the stove whenever you attempt that.

I'm no expert but if smoke is going up the chimney OK so are any invisible poisonous gases like CO.

Broke- Is yours a slammer or is it attached to a liner?

what do you mean slammer you mean a direct connect if so yes i have no money for a liner so i slammed it in

Attachments

• my pictures 399.JPG
    my pictures 399.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 223
With the type of install you have (slammer) you have a very high risk of poor drafting. I would at least attach a 15' SS liner into and through the throat of your chimney.
Also make sure you have a CO monitor.

throat of my chimney you mean the whole chimney

oh ok i have a pipe going from the stove up about 1-2 feet past damper with a block off plate. dumps in to a 8 inch chimney

br said:
oh ok i have a pipe going from the stove up about 1-2 feet past damper with a block off plate. dumps in to a 8 inch chimney

Broke,

You did the right thing. Since your masonry chimney is probably exterior, consider investing in the SS liner the previous poster described. I have been in your shoes years ago and I learned from a chimney fire.

Keep warm and burn safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.