damper and cleanout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
Do they make this as 1 unit or do i have to install damper and a cleanout seperately?..i dont have a draft problem was just going to install a damper for more control of the stove...any and all imput appreciated..thanks..

Two separate items. Is there enough room to safely operate a damper behind the hot stove? It will need to be opened before all reloads and restarts.

Prolly not on the damper...it is pretty tight in there..but i def need a clean out...the installers did not put one in..i will be installing a block off plate this summer..

So they used a 90 on the back of the stove? And you want to put a T on instead? From what I see, you will still have to pull the stove out to get access to it. If so, I can't see how it would be any better. Too bad that stove doesn't have a removable baffle.

Will you need to pull the stove out even if it has a Tee?
The Tee might be taller than the 90 that's there, so you will most likely need to push the liner up and trim it off at the top.

You can see from my avatar it is tight..but i can push the stove around...would it be easier to leave it connected straight thru and disconnect the flue from the stove and clean it like that?..thanks for your imput..

If the stove has to be pulled out anyway I don't see how a Tee would be any better. Really the Tee would need to be pulled off of the stove to clean out the flue collar and above the baffle anyway, given the tight location.

Status
Not open for further replies.