Damper in double wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would bet your flue temps past the damper have dropped considerably.
That's what I noted even on a short stack with the F602.

Do you measure flue temps as well? I would bet your flue temps past the damper have dropped considerably. I know in my old house with 35' flue i could increase the stove top temp by quite a bit by using my stack damper. Without it to much heat was getting sucked up the flue
On this particular stove, I was running blind, prior to installing the damper. I just installed a flue probe thermometer, at the same time I installed the damper. So, I get some "after" numbers, but no "before" data.

On this particular stove, I was running blind, prior to installing the damper. I just installed a flue probe thermometer, at the same time I installed the damper. So, I get some "after" numbers, but no "before" data.
Run the stove with the damper open to approximate the before condition.

Run the stove with the damper open to approximate the before condition.
I will plan to do that, to get some numbers at low and medium burn. I want to avoid doing the same on high, just because I'm tired of having to shut down and vacuum off the combustor each time I clog it with fly ash. Running this stove on high, on this particular chimney, is a definite recipe for a fly ash-clogged cat.