Damper pull chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leydon

May 5, 2019
Moscow, id
We’re retiling a wood burning fireplace in a house from the 1930s. The fireplace has a damper pull chain that comes through the face of the surround. The chain used to come through a brass locking mechanism, but that mechanism no longer works. Anyone know what that brass bit would be called? Anyone know where we could get a replacement?

We’re retiling a wood burning fireplace in a house from the 1930s. The fireplace has a damper pull chain that comes through the face of the surround. The chain used to come through a brass locking mechanism, but that mechanism no longer works. Anyone know what that brass bit would be called? Anyone know where we could get a replacement?
Some pictures of the mechanism might help

Ah good call. Here it is alone and in place.

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 282
Ah good call. Here it is alone and in place.
Hmmm never seen one like it. Have you tried local sweeps? Usually damper mecanisms are somewhat regional. They may know what it is and how to fix it

It doesn't look like the locking part is very complicated... the chain notches down into the notch to hold the damper open, and the spring on the damper does the rest.

If it doesn't operate the damper anymore, maybe the linkage between there and the damper is gone, or the spring on the damper is gone, or there's something wedged in the damper so that it can't close.

The locking bit looks like it will last another hundred years to me, though it would be a little safer if the notch was cut a little deeper.

It doesn't look like the locking part is very complicated... the chain notches down into the notch to hold the damper open, and the spring on the damper does the rest.

If it doesn't operate the damper anymore, maybe the linkage between there and the damper is gone, or the spring on the damper is gone, or there's something wedged in the damper so that it can't close.

The locking bit looks like it will last another hundred years to me, though it would be a little safer if the notch was cut a little deeper.
Thanks! Yeah the locking bit still works. The pipe on the back of the face no longer reaches the threads within the fireplace. It can’t be secured. I agree, though, that the face has a lot of life left.

Just adding a longer piece of iron pipe isn't possible?

Thanks! Yeah the locking bit still works. The pipe on the back of the face no longer reaches the threads within the fireplace. It can’t be secured. I agree, though, that the face has a lot of life left.

Oh... I don't think I'd care about that, because the damper spring will be pulling the back face against the tile when it's in operation anyway. After the tilework is done, put it back in and use a couple dabs of PL to stop it from rotating and pulling out. The force on it in those directions should be pretty mild. Keep the PL away from the back side so you don't glue the chain to the tube.

Also inspect the whole run of chain with an inspection camera while the tile is off. Today I'd assume that it goes to stainless steel wire rope inside, but in 1930 it wouldn't have. That chain is going to wear down where it goes around the corners.

Personally, I'd take the damper out and line the chimney, and put a wood burner in. Open fireplaces are pleasant to sit by, but they're often much worse than nothing in terms of heating. (Grew up heating with 'em, and they are miserable compared to even bad stoves.)