Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Southern Oregonian

Dec 30, 2017
Southern Oregon
I just bought a house with a Sweet Home Stove. Model Alpine AFX. I know this company is now Sierra Manufacturing of Virginia. However I still cannot find the manual online.
This is probably a silly question, but I'm fairly new to the wood stove game... on this model, do I push the damper knob in or pull it toward me to open?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I just bought a house with a Sweet Home Stove. Model Alpine AFX. I know this company is now Sierra Manufacturing of Virginia. However I still cannot find the manual online.
This is probably a silly question, but I'm fairly new to the wood stove game... on this model, do I push the damper knob in or pull it toward me to open?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
You could put some newspaper in it and light it and watch to see how the fire reacts when you push the knob and when you pull the knob.Open the fire will blaze up closed the fire will diminish.

Btw, I've never been on a thread or engaged in a forum. I consider myself a "computard". I still welcome any additional feedback.. Hope I'm doing this correctly..

Hehheh . . . you sound like my brother-in-law one step removed . . . he refuses to use computers, but knows they can be useful so whenever he needs to order a replacement part for his snowmobiles he has me "fire up the nerd box" to find the part. :) Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Ha. "Nerd Box". I've never heard that one... I know how to order stuff online, those basics. But I've never even owned an actual nerd box. I've got my phone and a tablet. I seem to get by...
Oh, aside from this being my first time on a forum, I feel I'm the only person on the planet that has never been on Facebook. Can't get down with that side of our society!

Ha. "Nerd Box". I've never heard that one... I know how to order stuff online, those basics. But I've never even owned an actual nerd box. I've got my phone and a tablet. I seem to get by...
Oh, aside from this being my first time on a forum, I feel I'm the only person on the planet that has never been on Facebook. Can't get down with that side of our society!

Nope . . . both my brother-in-law and a co-worker/friend refuse to use Facebook.

Me . . . I use it . . . but avoid getting caught up in the political BS. I mainly use it as a tool to communicate what our ATV Club is doing and between members.