Dauntless performance pack temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WNCStove

Jan 17, 2023
WNC
We had our first fire of the season yesterday. With seasoned ash, and the stove really hot, it didn’t get the temperature on the catalyst temperature probe off the peg for hours.

This is my first year running a catalyst, is it normal to run a load of wood through it before the temperature in these dauntless stoves comes close to the catalyst operating temp range?

I know I did the probe install correctly. Is it always this time consuming to get to temp on the probe?

71849984911__24B918C2-D752-45AE-A7B5-6B518E84D943.jpeg

We had our first fire of the season yesterday. With seasoned ash, and the stove really hot, it didn’t get the temperature on the catalyst temperature probe off the peg for hours.

This is my first year running a catalyst, is it normal to run a load of wood through it before the temperature in these dauntless stoves comes close to the catalyst operating temp range?

I know I did the probe install correctly. Is it always this time consuming to get to temp on the probe?

View attachment 316445
Did you read the manual and follow the instructions? There are 4 stages listed in the manual
-4lb kindling fire. I probably go a bit bigger than 4lb but I havent weighed, Im just guessing. Takes about 20 minutes to burn down to the point that you push the left overs against the backwall of the stove.
-6lb several splits on top of the coals from step 1. Not sure of the exact timing here but guessing about an hour.
-Then another 4-5 large pieces on the coals from step 2 (IMO use max 4-5" pieces, 16" long), then you let that burn down on the highest setting. (2 hours?). This last step is subjective to me. To me this is where you are really building up the coals and getting the stove up to temp. Maybe others believe this is the steady state run AFTER the first two steps.
So based on this info, the total cold start time (to me) is very roughly 3 1/2 hours.

It's interesting they suggest after the second step to close the damper, then for the operate catalyst section of the instructions they say this: "add fuel or open the bypass damper to allow the fire to further build before engaging the catalyst again." Ive never been close to operating the cat temps after the 2nd step, so I dont know the purpose there.

IMO when you hold your hand near the side of the stove and feel good heat, that's when you can bother looking at the probe honestly. And that takes a good while. Hours. Again, just my opinion and experience. I dont want to get people upset with my experiences.

Dauntless owner here with the Cat package

First, I ran some ash last year and it gave me great results but was very messy. It made a ton of , well, ash.
I found that a clean stove without any ashes or coals in the bottom took a long time before the cat would run.
You needs a base of coals, ash and material in the bottom of these stoves. I would say a good 1/2 in Or more is needed.
Once you have a base of ash established, either from previous fires or current.... you need to get the stove top up to about 500-650degrees for a solid hour. Monitor the air intake to keep it from over heating or dropping temp. This gets the coals nice and hot.
When you are ready for a reload of wood fuel,
Push some of those coals towards the back of the stove, add wood maintain the 500 ish degrees stove top for a few minutes the engage the cat for the slow long burn. Monitor stove and chimney temps, add air or remove as needed.

Reactions: vernorz