Dead elm as a gift

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
A friend of mine gave me some dead elm. It's real light weight, dry but not stringy. Is this stuff any good to burn in the stove or should I just leave it for the fire put. Moisture checks at 18 to 20 percent. All bark is off. What do you guys think? I burned two logs and they went right up. Nothing like red elm I cut live then split and stack for two years, should I bother with this stuff? Thanks

No reason not to use it as stove chow. It might not carry the same BTU punch as others, but it is still BTUs.

Reactions: baseroom
I like dead elm with the bark off. Clean, coals nice. Not as much heat as oak, but good nonetheless.

lots of threads about elm today...

i have a lot of elm. mine is measuring around 9-15%, and it burns great!

Real dry, it fine. It smolders when the least bit damp

likely Siberian type -bunch of other local names for also- burns fine a little on the quick side coals up ok about mid way on the charts. Throws a nice heat and lasts longer than any of the big leaf Maples, I have a bout 1/2 cord here in my shop at about 12-15% I like it better than Ash- less ash accumulation at end of cycle. Not difficult to get started either.

A friend of mine gave me some dead elm. It's real light weight, dry but not stringy. Is this stuff any good to burn in the stove or should I just leave it for the fire put. Moisture checks at 18 to 20 percent. All bark is off. What do you guys think? I burned two logs and they went right up. Nothing like red elm I cut live then split and stack for two years, should I bother with this stuff? Thanks
I would definitely take it ,dry it burn real hot and clean,at least mine does,here's a five year old split,and what it looks like after 12 plus hours in the BK.
elm.jpg
elm.jpg
elm1.jpg

Thanks everyone! Burning as much as I can this winter!