Dead elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lost in the woods

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2016
Central PA
hey a guy from our hunting camp had a tree fall across the lane at his woodlot and he asked me to clear it in exchange for all the dead/down wood i want. . . today I went up and did the job and discovered it was a dead elm. . . it was a mother to split. . . i'm wondering if anyone has experience burning elm???? how do you like it? this woodlot is a mix of dead ash, elm, walnut and other assorted crap all tangled up in monkey vines. . . is the elm worth the hassle?

oh yeah! kinda giving up on morels; my wife and kids don't like them. . . they do like hens, chickens, and chanterelles though, so im concentrating on them from now on

Hard as hell to split, especially Chinese elm. I found it satisfactory firewood.

My tree lines are full of dead American Elm (Dutch Elm Disease)
Cut split and burn a lot of it. Works well for me
But you do need a power splitter if you are going to do more than a few splits
The biggest reason I had to buy a hydro Splitter

Have fun splitting it but I think it's decent wood

A local arborist dumped a trailer load of elm that he cut down. Pretty much a whole tree cut up just enough to fit in a trailer. What a job cutting it with a 13" poulan saw, and splitting it by hand. Got about 6 face cords out of it though and lost a few pounds in the process! Next year I'll rent a splitter.
20200615_152935.jpg
20200626_202458.jpg
20200626_202507.jpg

I only mess with it if it has been dead standing. Usually dry enough that "maybe" I can split it by hand if its no bigger than 8-10" around. Burns pretty good, but not a long burner as stated above. Does have a funny smell though.

Reactions: JimBear
It burns great but you've got to work for it for sure. Those were some good size rounds too.

I burn a ton of Siberian Elm and my favorite part about it is when it's gone and I can burn something else. It's better when added to a coal bed vs cold starting with it though. Seems like no matter how long I season it, it just takes a while to really get going. I'm currently burning 3 year split stuff.

I burn lots of elm. Dead standing elm is primo firewood once the bark has fallen off. The top half of the tree is usually quite dry and the rest I split with hydraulics. My uncle bought a hydraulic splitter for around 600 bucks this year. Well worth it if you are going to be burning for the long haul.