dead mouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread brings back some bad memories. We lived in a very old apartment building until we bought our house 7 years ago. We closed in February and planned to paint and do some cosmetic changes before we moved in there in May. We started having a problem with mice in the apartment in March. When we would be in bed, you could hear them in the ceiling above, scratching...scratching..

One night when we were laying there, there was a louder scratching sound than usual. Little pieces of the ceiling started falling down on our faces. :shut: The lil bahstard almost scratched right through the friggin ceiling.

I found mice turds in my parrot's cage too after that. >:-( That is when I began the "Hunt". I got all my tools ready, snow shovel and bucket.
I was sitting there watching tv one night and saw one. I cornered it and bludgeoned it to death with the shovel. Blood squirted out of his eyes. Too bad the place was infested with them and killing that one mouse did chit. It did make me feel better though. :)

We were cleaning out the outside back porch a couple days before we left. It was an inside (the inside) porch that we had not used in a while.
When we went in, the whole thing was infested with mice. I had bought 2 huge bags of outdoor bird seed that I forgot about.... :smirk: Those suckers were going to town in there. It could have been on that "Infested" tv show. I always keep my seed in metal containers now.

I hate mice. I bludgeoned one to death here in our house last year. Now I just do the P/B and traps, much easier. :lol:

JeffRey30747 said:
If you have a mouse that is particularly adept at getting the bait off of the spring type traps, you can use a cooked spaghetti noodle wrapped around the trigger. It will dry back out and get tough while being conformed to the shape of the trigger. Add a dab of peanut butter for some smell.

Good idea, I'll try it! It sure beats drilling peanuts :cheese:

I too have given up on the poison thingies. Mama cat decided that
chasing them was too much effort & them little black mouse rice
were all over the kitchen - in the drawers & cabinets. They were
even eating the sopnges under the sink. Put out a couple three
D-Cons & we were INFESTED with flies. Couldn't figger out where
they were comin from, then it hit me: Maggots on the dead mouse
flesh. I finally found a dessicated carcasse under a register in the
bathroom & that ended the flies. Traps from now on & I like that
spaghetti noodle idea..

To add a little Mouse Humor to this thread, I used to live out in the
Grafton Mountains East of Troy & we ALWAYS had deer mice. I lived
with my GF & a roommate & we were pretty much party animals, living
on brewskis & "fatties" & we munched out on a LOT of popcorn. That
was back in the acoustic guitar playing rock star wanna be days & I had
a big ole hollow-body Epiphone six-string that I kept in a closet when I
knew that there was gonna be marathon beer fests, so it'd be safe.
After one of those marathon weekends, we were relaxing & I got the
itch to strum & I pulled the axe out of the closet & you woulda thought
I had a maraca. It was FULL of dried dogfood, popcorn kernels & little
Maryjane seeds. The mice were using it to stock up for the winter!

Another mouse story.

I opened the hood on one of our cars one day to check something. The car was running.
I spotted a mouse on top of engine making its way towards the belt area.
Just as I jumped forward to swat him away from the nasty stuff, it steps out onto one of the rotating pulleys.
I ended up with a stripe of disassembled mouse parts from my forehead to my belly.

Edit: At least my mouth was closed. :)

Our seasonal place in MI is a deer mouse hostel the rest of the year (and sometimes while we're there also). This year they ate all the fancy soaps my wife had made in the summer. I found the (already dessicated) remains of one in the furnace plenum, right in front of the blower. We never smelled a thing, luckily. Then we get back home to MD and the house mice have moved in there; they chewed the thumbs off of the oven mitts. Those things will apparently eat anything.

speaking of peanut butter..... sometimes that can get licked off the trap without springing it. I found that Reeses peanut butter chips work AWESOME...... melt a few in the microwave, then spread on the trap. The melt hardens and is IMPOSSIBLE for a mouse to get at without springing the trap. Heck I used the same baited trap for months. The PB just did not come off!

I've had traps licked clean without springing with chunky peanut butter, but creamy gets em every time...especially if you use the traps I showed...they cannot possibly get to the bait without putting both forepaws on the trip mechanism. Nails em everytime.

I use the old wire spring type traps, seem to be better than the plastic "false teeth" type trap. Just put a little piece of a cotton ball wedged under the lip on the trigger and smear on peanut butter. Then when the mouse starts on the bait, they get their teeth caught in the cotton wool, and when they try to pull away.......snap!

I put out poison this past weekend. I put one in the shed, under the shed, in my outside A/C unit, under my wood stacks, and any place my dog couldn't get to it.

This morning, my wife was screaming for me to come down stairs and see what MY dog had done. The dog had been outside (Rain/Snow) this morning and brought a dead deer mouse in and put it on the sofa! She's just like a proud house cat. I'm glad she didn't eat it.

So the poison works. They're not in my house - so if they die from eating it, that's good. I hope I kill a bunch of them.

You might THINK they're not in the house.....

Lol.

I've been catching more moles than mice the past couple of years here - had to toss another out just this morning. Not sure what's up with that.

basswidow said:
Flatbedford said:
I saw a mouse in the old flatbed once. Well, actually twice, but it was moving much slower the second time.

If I'm not mistaken, that's what we call deer mice. They are bigger then the stardard grey house mouse and they live outdoors and in the ground (unless they can get inside). They are in my shed, beneath my shed, wood stacks, etc... They caused $ 1000 damage to my outside A/C units. They love to chew wire insulation. They got into my boat and chewed every PFD and net I had. Christmas Decorations I put in tupperware bins - they chew right thru that stuff. I found 12 mice in one container, and the strands of lights were trashed from all the chewing. I've got one nesting in my Dodge truck now in the air vents. I can't use the heat for the smell. Can't get to it either.

Every car I've ever parked outside - they get into. They like the warm engine and will make nests on the engine block. Inside the cab of a car is warm in the sun during the winter - they will chew seats, make nest up in the dash.

In the car, they are easily trapped with a snap trap and PB, but outside? There must be a thousand of them. When I mow the grass in the summer, I see them scurry 10 feet infront of the mower. I put down poison and traps in the shed, theres just too many.

I hate them. Until I can move, I won't buy another car, boat, or camper.
Traps won't solve your problem. You need poison and a lot of it.

I have another mouse story. It happened about a year after moving into our house. I had some Hershey kisses out in a dish in the living room. I started finding empty foil wrappers under the furniture, I thought...WTF?
One day I spotted one of those lil buggers sitting and eating a Hershey kiss! I never knew that mice liked chocolate!
Oh yeah, I bludgeoned one to death that time too...eating my friggin chocolate kisses! Bahstardz... >:-(

I've opened drawers in my garage before only to find them staring up at me with their beady little eyes.
I suck them up with a shop vac...pretty entertaining.

Semipro said:
I've opened drawers in my garage before only to find them staring up at me with their beady little eyes.
I suck them up with a shop vac...pretty entertaining.

Not as entertaining as hitting them with a snow shovel and seeing blood squirt out of their eyes... :lol:

heat seeker said:
Try this for a giggle or two:

Critter Vac

That's hilarious. I wonder what they do with them after they catch them?

Couple stories here since everyone is sharing theirs...

Went to college in Boston and had rats/mice in our dorm. One kid in our apartment style suite drank a bunch one night and ordered some pizza and left the pizza on the floor when he passed out for the night. Woke up in the morning and the pizza box was clean. We used to hear the rats running up and down and across the ceiling all night. Needless to say the girlfriend didn't like staying in my dorm much....

Second year in our house and we kept hearing a quiet squeaking sound and odd smell coming from one area of the living room. Didn't think much of it and one night while sitting on the sectional couch I saw a baby mouse fall out of another section of the sectional couch. Found another two on the floor and another four in the bottom of that section of the sectional.

I hate them!

I have my best luck using baby swiss cheese. I put to or three traps side by side against the wall.
When they get done with one they will step to the other and start chowing.
They will usually step on the other trap they just finished.

SNAP

We get a couple good run of mice each year... and those big dear mice too. they are cute.

Tried all the different traps and poisons but my best results by far have been the better mouse trap. Its a 5 gallon bucket with two holes drilled thru the top that a dowel goes thru with a plastic peanut butter jar with holes in the top and bottom. You put about 5 inches of antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket and a little peanut butter on the side of the jar with the dowel running thru the jar. When the mice go for the peanut butter the jar rotates and they fall into the antifreeze.

yep, as a field dweller, we get invaded each fall.

PEANUT BUTTER! NO WAY!... they have always just licked it off. get some good moist bread, wet it a little more and conform it around the bait piece. it will dry quick hard as a rock. best solution i have found. soemtimes the bait will stay on for multiple kills too.

mepellet said:
Went to college in Boston and had rats/mice in our dorm. One kid in our apartment style suite drank a bunch one night and ordered some pizza and left the pizza on the floor when he passed out for the night. Woke up in the morning and the pizza box was clean. We used to hear the rats running up and down and across the ceiling all night. Needless to say the girlfriend didn't like staying in my dorm much....
One weekend when I was away with the army (TA - roughly equivalent to the National Guard) we had a night in the field but non-tactical, so we got a fire going and ordered in pizza to a grid square. One chap, who nowadays is a Captain, decided to save half of his for breakfast - and was halfway through it the next morning before he noticed that it was covered in mouse droppings. All of a sudden I appreciated boil-in-the-bag corned beef hash a great deal more!

Semipro said:
heat seeker said:
Try this for a giggle or two:

Critter Vac

That's hilarious. I wonder what they do with them after they catch them?

Beat them with a snow shovel till blood comes out of their eyes.

I'm battling mice at my place too, my gf bought a set of four traps, I thought there was a single mouse but I have caught three so far... I think they're getting in through the dryer vent but I'm not sure.

Can you ever get rid of these things for good?

I had a trap licked clean... That's when I had my idea: set one baited trap and surround it with unbaited traps, a mouse may be less suspicious of an unbaited. They'll climb over it to investigate the food source. So far it's worked well, mice get caught in the unbaited traps more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.