Dealing with frost/condensation on outside air supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Samsquanch

Mar 2, 2019
Alberta
Anyone have any brainy ideas for products that look okay to use for outside air supply ducting that have some kind of insulation? Regular 4” single wall ducting gets pretty frosty when it’s cold out, and the best I’ve ever been able to come up with is just leaving it loosely mounted and relocating it to thaw out in the bath tub every few days!

I know there is insulated flexible ducting available, like what you would use for a bathroom vent fan, but it wouldn’t fare well if there was a draft reversal, and my vent is in a visible spot so ugly is kind of a no-go, on top of, you know, not wanting my house to burn down.

A4351068-B5C9-4DE2-A776-2CBD46116A0C.jpeg

Could you make the connection with insulated pellet vent? Other option is making your own double wall. Wrap the current pipe in insulation then stick inside a larger one.

If you get a draft reversal you have much bigger issues than the material of the OAK.

Haha yeah a draft reversal would be a problem no matter what, but it’s always the hypothetical boogeyman folks throw around. Realistically, not likely, just high stakes. I had the same thought earlier on building my own double wall, but the pellet vent might be worth considering too.