Debate time what stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brian102

Feb 7, 2014
coldwater mi
Ok guys looking to buy a new stove.. I have a friend who has a vg5790 for sale he’s asking 1000 obo burnt one bag. I see the pp130b is around that same price. Is there a different option for around same money better? Also do you agree on getting a new stove as my cab50 just made it through it’s 10th season. I love the cab50 big hopper easy to clean puts out great heat! I’m torn here. House is 2600 sq ft older farm house we use stove to heat downstairs and it has a propane furnace to heat upstairs.

I can’t speak for the other stoves or the longevity of the one you have.

But as far as the vogelzang, some people hate them and some people think they work fine. Once I worked a few bugs out of mine and did a few small mods, and found the right pellets, it’s been great. Pro pellets are made in white pigeon not too far from you and that’s what will probably burn best it it.

Only thing with the vogelzang is all your settings are fixed so the stove dictates your pellet choice. Rather than with a stove with full adjustability, you can let your available pellets dictate how you run the stove. I got mine in a pinch based on physical size and btu and price and paid $850 new 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Everyone will say, Harman Why I have no idea

I like the Enviro. I have talked a lot of people into Enviro
over the years.
Every person who bought one because of me is still using and enjoying it
with very few problems including me just finished my 18th season without
a hitch

Reactions: Ssyko
The CAB 50 is the better stove I see no reason to replace it.

If it aint broke don’t fix it. I would keep the cab until it starts nickel and dimming you. But if you are pulling the trigger i would look at Quad and Enviro.

My 5790 Has really been a great stove for me, I had an issue this week but it was my fault and didn't clean it well enough last time. This stove is a work horse and I heat my 2,600 SF home all year long with no other heat source. I burn between 4 to 6 TOn of pellets a year and my house is on average about 74 Deg's. I wasn't sure if I would have liked a pellet stove so I didn't want to spend $4,000 on one and not be happy. Ill run this one for as long as I can, if I need to replace Ill figure it out then but there is a good chance id get another like it.

My 5790 Has really been a great stove for me, I had an issue this week but it was my fault and didn't clean it well enough last time. This stove is a work horse and I heat my 2,600 SF home all year long with no other heat source. I burn between 4 to 6 TOn of pellets a year and my house is on average about 74 Deg's. I wasn't sure if I would have liked a pellet stove so I didn't want to spend $4,000 on one and not be happy. Ill run this one for as long as I can, if I need to replace Ill figure it out then but there is a good chance id get another like it.
is yours a newer well insulated house? i also am 2600 sq ft and its and older house. my cab50 will do downstairs no problem and partially upstairs, but i use my upstairs propane furnace to heat the rest.

I sprayed foamed my whole roof last summer, But before that I would it was average on insulation. The stove did not have a issue before that though. I have the stove on the first floor in the center of the home, I probably could have put it in the basement, It runs on the lowest setting most of the winter.I have never had to put it above 3 this stove heats. Pellet choice does effect Heat output on mine. I use certain ones in spring/fall and others for the winter.