Decided on the Ideal Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BCC_Burner

Feeling the Heat
Sep 10, 2013
Uptown Marble, CO
I posted a month or so ago about picking a stove for the house I recently bought, and I wanted to post an update that I went with a Woodstock IS.

I love the simplicity of the T6, but the lack of tax credit, the fact that the local PE dealer won't inspect/sweep the existing chimney, or modify the hearth (they literally just do the install), and that a level 2 inspection will run me around $600 out here, I decided to go a different route.

The installer will take delivery of the IS, bring it to my place, sweep, inspect and upgrade the chimney (going to double wall stove pipe inside and up to the max 10' of Class A I can have with 2 roof braces), and install it in one fell swoop.

I haven't run a hybrid/cat stove before, but I've been curious about the IS for 7 or 8 years now. The aesthetics of it grew on me over the years, and now that they offer a variety of designs that get rid of those godawful gear-shaped side burners, it sealed the deal.

According to WS, it should be ready to ship in about a month, and I have my install scheduled for the last week in September.

Between the stove, freight, new venting and the install, it will cost a pretty penny, but the hearth really is the centerpiece of the great room in my home, so that made it a bit easier to justify.

I am interested to see the installers get an IS up onto a 20" raised hearth, and I'm really glad I don't have to figure out how the heck to do that.

I'll be sure to post up some pictures once it's installed and burning.

No pictures it did not happen

I am interested to see the installers get an IS up onto a 20" raised hearth, and I'm really glad I don't have to figure out how the heck to do that.

They probably won't use the same method I use, but who knows? I use a two-ton Harbor Freight engine crane. It works well for getting a stove on a trailer, or for picking it up to set it onto something. I welded up an 18" tall steel stand for my All Nighter to sit on, so I didn't have to bend over so far (or get on my knees) to load/unload/shovel ash. That stove was so deep, having it low to the ground was a real pain in the back.

So, good call on the raised hearth!

Is your raised hearth built to meet the Woodstock hearth insulation requirement?

Is your raised hearth built to meet the Woodstock hearth insulation requirement?

Yes, it's entirely non-combustible. Steel studs, durock and a piece of slate atop the durock.

Reactions: Highbeam
They probably won't use the same method I use, but who knows? I use a two-ton Harbor Freight engine crane. It works well for getting a stove on a trailer, or for picking it up to set it onto something. I welded up an 18" tall steel stand for my All Nighter to sit on, so I didn't have to bend over so far (or get on my knees) to load/unload/shovel ash. That stove was so deep, having it low to the ground was a real pain in the back.

So, good call on the raised hearth!

The raised hearth was here when I bought the house, but I agree, it will make loading/cleaning the stove easier, in addition to making the fire-viewing a bit better. The couple who built the house ~15 years ago still live down the street, and it's been pretty great to be able to ask him questions about the place.

Here are a couple of photos of the existing setup. Excuse the mess (and awful curtains, they came with the house!) in the photos. I'll be cutting out the hardwood and laying down a couple courses of ceramic tile to provide a non-combustible floor surface under the door swing area as well.

I went with an Almond color body and Surf Sand accents on the IS, which I think will look really nice with the hearth.

IMG_0064(1).jpgIMG_0063.jpg

Last edited:
Beauty place to live (Marble). I hiked through Marble several times years ago. Good luck with the I.S.

Reactions: BCC_Burner
Beauty place to live (Marble). I hiked through Marble several times years ago. Good luck with the I.S.

Thank you! Indeed it is. I've lived and traveled all over the mountain west, and Marble still makes the top 5 list of most beautiful towns I've been to. The way in which the mountains rise straight up from town is reminiscent of only a handful of other places in North America.

Living here involves a long commute, but the setting and access to year-round outdoor recreation makes it well worth it. Amazing hiking, amazing backcountry skiing, crowded if very good off-roading, and rock solid BBQ.

In my line of work, I get to spend time in some of the most expensive and opulent single family homes anywhere in the United States, but I get to come home to my 2 bed/ 2 bath log home in Marble that has better views than most places that cost 30x what my home did. That really warms the cockles of my heart.

Now I just need to get an insulator out here before the winter to get my attic up to R-60 and to closed-cell spray foam my rim to reduce the stack effect and I'll really be cooking.