Deciding between these 3 stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cboehm

Mar 20, 2024
North Dakota
I have a 1800 sq foot new construction home, stove on 1 end of home. Want it to be main source of heating, minimal ash removal, blower, air controler, Fire brick lined.
Quadra Fire 4300 Step Top
Osburn 3300
Pacific Energy Summit Classic LE
Drolet Legand 111

Summit would be at the top. Droplet and Osborn are made by Same company and build a solid stove.

A stove on one end of the home would need a very suitable lay-out of the home for it to heat the other end of the home. A blower is not going to help much with that, as that is more designed to extract heat from the stove, not so much move it considerable distances.

I second Ebs-P otherwise.

Do check the flue height requirements of the models you're considering.
Also, get wood split, stacked off the ground, and covered now. None of these stoves will make you satisfied if you don't burn dry wood - and you can't really buy dry wood. Not sure what wood you have up there. Pine/fir needs a year. Maple two. Oak three.

Minimal ash removal is in large part going to vary with the species of wood burned.

How open will the floor plan be? Is this for a ranch style house or 2 story? Normal ceiling height? How well insulated?

All those stoves seem to be good choices, but PE would probably be best, easiest to control etc. Heat will disseminate a little unequallly, the stove end will definitely be warmer, hopefully the bedrooms are on opposite end. Good luck.

I have a 1800 sq foot new construction home, stove on 1 end of home. Want it to be main source of heating, minimal ash removal, blower, air controler, Fire brick lined.
Osburn 3300
Drolet Legand 111
Osborn 3300. I have been using one full time for four years now. No problems with it at all. Easy to use and maintain. I did order extra parts for it from SBI just in case and the customer service was excellent. I looked at PE too but they cost a lot more and the replacement parts are expensive. We have cooked on our Osborn. The steel construction is top notch.
Osburn 3300
Drolet Legand 111

Reactions: stovelark