Defiance Master's Choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UpNorth Guy

Nov 6, 2023
Minnesota
Greetings all, I have purchased a used Defiance Master's Choice stand alone woodstove. At some point, PO replaced the door glass with plate steel. I have purchased replacement glass for the doors and gasket material. But, they modified the doors by drilling a hole and bolting the plate steel in. So the original method of holding the glass in is not there. There are no clips or threaded holes. If someone has a defiance Master's Choice and can explain what was used, that would be helpful. Or I will need to drill, tap and use washers. Thanks.

What ever you do don’t make the bolts and washers too tight .
Probably a gasket was there in front of the glass and between the door to allow the bolts to hold the glass without too much concentrated pressure in a small area .
Maybe the set up was a frame of some sort that could be bolted up and the “glass” to sit and have room to move .
If it doesn’t have the room , it will break and fall out just when the fire is getting good and hot and you will have a situation that will be exciting at best
Probably better not throw away the old steel set up until you have this figured out
Good luck
I had a sears steel fireplace and it had glass doors that taught me what I’ve tried to share