Definitive Answer - Burning Coal With A Catalyst...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
Last year in desperation, I tried to burn coal (exclusively) in my wood stove. On the whole, the effort failed miserably, but I still have a partial bag of coal left... which I figured I'd burn - a few lumps at a time - on cold nights this winter.

I've seen advisories stating that burning coal 'may' poison a catalytic combustor as used in a wood stove.

Does anyone know for certain?

I will be replacing the combustor next year in any event, but I'd like to limp it through the season without reducing its remaining effectiveness. I _can_ run the stove on bypass, if need be.

Thanks in advance for experience-based comments.

Peter B.

-----

The sulphur "obscures" the precious metal sites, thereby de-activating the catalyst. Sulphur also produces sulphates (inorganic compound) that can effectively plug the channels of the catalyst. Tat is the reason why 2007 on diesel trucks have to run on UL sulphur diesel, since the sulphates would plug the soot filter way before the desired service interval.

A partial bag of coal is not worth nearly as much as your catalyst, by any spread of the imagination.

Of course if you wanted to burn exclusively coal, you could simply remove the catalyst altogether, that would allow it to be put back in service later.

Thanks to both of you for your replies... especially the 'technical' one.

I'll remove the converter before I try to burn any coal.

I think the bag only cost $5., so it's not like I'd take a real hit if I didn't use it... just hate to waste anything.

Thanks Again.

Peter B.

-----

There is no waste.......plenty of stockings around this time of year

humpin iron wrote:

"There is no waste.......plenty of stockings around this time of year"

--

Excellent suggestion...

The only problem is that - given my misbehavior this year - I've 'earned' all the coal myself.

Peter B.

-----

What stove are you burning? Is it the antique one in your avatar? Did you install a cat in there?

humpin iron said:
There is no waste.......plenty of stockings around this time of year

It looks like my Dad has learned how to use the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.