Design Challenge - what to do...oh what to do??!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edmonchuck

Oct 13, 2019
West Central Alberta
Hello all!

While still trying to figure out what to do with the living room fireplace, I have another masonry beast that is just sitting there. Now, when I fire up the basement fireplace, the heat does rise into this structure (all 3 fireboxes make up one large 10' x 20' x 20' mass), but right now, this thing is useless for generating heat.

It was built in 1974/5 with bricks from an old hockey rink that was being demolished. It is an indoor charcoal BBQ. It's been used twice. Once when I can't remember because I was too young, and when I ended up buying the ranch, I tried it out of curiosity and it performed as expected.

IMG_20181129_1021380.jpg
It didn't. The opening is too large and the flue too far away. It just smokes the place out on ignition, and again as it cools.

So...thoughts on what to convert this to? I was thinking pizza oven, or adding a faceplate and doors for keeping the grille? One of the installers that came out to review my other fireplace for an insert suggested mounting a wood stove in the space, but I think that would look absolutely ridiculous.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Dick

Last edited by a moderator:
How about installing a range hood above it?

That was the first thought, but then a couple of test fits and it looked out of place. Plus, to get electrical to it, I'd have an ugly cord running around the firebox. If you know of one that would look good, I'd be open to trying to find a creative way to wire it in.

One of the installers that came out to review my other fireplace for an insert suggested mounting a wood stove in the space, but I think that would look absolutely ridiculous.

It would be pretty unique to say the least but i dont think it would look bad. Hell you wouldnt have to ever bend over to load it either;) ...just my thoughts.

Where the brick sticks out on both sides I would cut a lintel in and lay more brick above it to extend the edge out 4". Might eliminate smoking. Or even drop it down lower as well as out front more. No big deal.
IMG_20181129_1021380.jpg

An indoor gas grill would be neat. Use 1 pound propane bottles. Same smoke venting issues just a lot less smoke. Have you seen the pizza-que . They are propane single burner pizza oven. I like the power range hood idea electric could be run top down maybe? Wine rack or cooler. A table side rotisserie would be amazing. I think the right stove could looks ok but do you want a wood stove there? Something small.
A few thoughts.
Evan

Wine storage area. Remove oven and install granite counter above. Add wine storage cubbies. Throw in a few puck led lights for ambience. Could add a small corner cabinets in the rear that could hide an outlet or power source added with a hole drilled in the side to the current counter for a feed. Humidor if you like cigars.

Add grow light above and turn it into a small indoor herb garden as a second choice. This also requires a new granite counter and power feed.

Don't try to put any wood or burning appliances there. Not likely to garner any market appeal.

Well...

The advantage of having an old friend in the oilfield...who is also a journeyman bricklayer for refractory work...

...is he has a shop and the tools/parts to make one hell of a pizza oven out of this..and also add some masonry heating capabilities.

This should be fun.

Thanks for the ideas!

Reactions: Mech e