deter wild boars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prometeo

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2022
IT
HI, I'm starting to have this problem with wild boars, holes in the ground and small plants torn up. I read that human urine is a good deterrent, what else can work?

I think that would just be temporary if it rains but it won't hurt to try if you can get enough of it. An electric fence might work. Keep anything resembling food away from them. Unfortunately that would include a garden. The best defense is a heavy wire fence around the garden perimeter.
I read on Quora that sounds or alarms that could scare away feral hogs including:
  • Barking of hunting dogs
  • Shotgun shots
  • Distress calls from another wild hog
  • People talking in loud voices

Reactions: Prometeo
FWIW, we fought deer traffic and damage for years. To deter them I tried Irish Spring soap bars, wolf, coyote, and human urine, several different deer-off concoctions, etc. All of them, sort of worked, then didn't as the deer got used to them. I also used a water driven scare crow that had a motion detector and shot a stream of water when triggered. Finally, after 10 yrs of hassle and crop loss I fenced in about an acre surrounding the house. That worked.

FWIW, we fought deer traffic and damage for years. To deter them I tried Irish Spring soap bars, wolf, coyote, and human urine, several different deer-off concoctions, etc. All of them, sort of worked, then didn't as the deer got used to them. I also used a water driven scare crow that had a motion detector and shot a stream of water when triggered. Finally, after 10 yrs of hassle and crop loss I fenced in about an acre surrounding the house. That worked.
Thanks for the valuable information, Looks like I have to focus on the fence. I've always heard people complain about wild boars, Now I truly understand.

Any animal will get used to a scent that is in the area. It might make them wary initially, but once they are accustom to it their fear will wane. Their population will increase significantly if you don't address it. Check your game laws. Many states may have extended hunting periods. You might be able to trap them too. Bottom like is you need to reduce the population of the Sows some way some how.

I vote for the human urine, as that is the best excuse to increase your beer intake :)

Or placards with this?

1712612302841.png

We kept them out (in NL) simply by fencing. Nothing else worked.
(I'm not sure that the now present wolf scents help...)

• Haha
When I was in the Piemonte I loved the wild boar in the trattoria around pinerolo.

Show them your empty freezer and they might understand.

Since hogs are so smart, to control their population or exclude them, no single strategy is going to work. You’ll have to rotate them.

Since hogs are so smart, to control their population or exclude them, no single strategy is going to work. You’ll have to rotate them.
Rotating a wild boar could be harder still! And it would take a lot of rotations to make it dizzy. ;lol

I have to make a collaboration contract with this gentleman

That is not helping much in NL; wolves are back there a decade or so but boar numbers and distribution are not changing measurably.
(Even though wolves predating on board was used as an argument for the benefit of having wolves back, in particular given the large collision rates of boar with cars.)

That is a small boar too. They can get pretty big. They are feral pigs. Hunt them and eat them. Unless you are Muslim or Jewish and don't eat pork, go and fill your freezer. (although all my Jewish roommates in college had no problems eating pork chops)

That was a young one, just beyond its striped phase.

It may seem bizarre but it seems to work urine, In some bottle. Wild boars have a very developed sense of smell, and believing that there are people nearby, they change direction. Fingers crossed anyway

It may seem bizarre but it seems to work urine, In some bottle. Wild boars have a very developed sense of smell, and believing that there are people nearby, they change direction. Fingers crossed anyway
Better order up some cases of Birra Moretti