DHT 22ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZZ Tom

Burning Hunk
Feb 3, 2014
SL,UT
www.garnerfoto.com
I just picked up a new log splitter. I found the Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton splitter at Lowe's for $899 as part of their "Spring Black Friday" sales event. That is 200 off the regular price. I also got an additional 10% off by using my Lowe's credit card as part of their Outdoor Power Equipment promo. Out the door with taxes for $864.

Once we got it home I checked all the fluids adding full synthetic oil to the engine and 88 octane ethanol free gasoline, made sure the hoses were tight and fired her up. Swung it up to vertical mode and grabbed an 18" round of crotchy knotty elm. Went through that without even grunting. My wife then grabbed a piece of elm from two years ago that I just couldn't split with three wedges and an eight pound sledge. Went through it like a hot knife through butter. Didn't even breathe hard.

My only regret in this purchase is not doing it sooner. This will make my firewood chores almost fun and leave me with more time to work on other projects while not getting beat up trying to split by hand.

Thank you to everyone who recommended this splitter.

I've had that splitter for a year, and it has saved me a million sledgehammer whacks on ugly wood already.

I've been impressed with the Kohler engine so far. The only issue the splitter has had was a slow hydraulic leak at the control handle, which was resolved by taking the lines off the handle and tightening it up a turn.

Reactions: ZZ Tom
I've had that splitter for a year, and it has saved me a million sledgehammer whacks on ugly wood already.

I ran almost a cord through it today. About 1/2 cord of elm and about 1/3 cord of honey locust and a single 24" crotch of ash. Saved me countless whacks. My wrists don't hurt!!

I've been impressed with the Kohler engine so far. The only issue the splitter has had was a slow hydraulic leak at the control handle, which was resolved by taking the lines off the handle and tightening it up a turn.

Thanks for the heads up and how to. I was trying to keep my eyes open for any trouble.

I've had mine for about 5 months and so far have put about 4 cords through it. It is definitely a time saver.

Like jetsam said. I too have a leak around the control handle and need to do the same thing.

Lopi Rockport

My splitter came new with a few leaks also. The worst place to have a leak is the solid pipe connection between the valve and the cylinder. Mine came with a solid pipe there, which means that if there is a leak on either end of that pipe, there is practically no way to easily tighten it. You have to drain some of the hydraulic fluid so that you can disconnect some of the hoses. Then you have to try to make a complete revolution of the valve to try to tighten the pipe connection, which in most cases you can not easily do.

After several attempts to tighten that connection, I gave up and put a union and two wrench tightenable nipples in there, which is what should have been there in the first place. Now, if there is any leakage there I can slightly loosen the union and tighten either of the side nipples as needed.

If it starts to leak there, replacing it is the way to go

My splitter came new with a few leaks also. The worst place to have a leak is the solid pipe connection between the valve and the cylinder. Mine came with a solid pipe there, which means that if there is a leak on either end of that pipe, there is practically no way to easily tighten it. You have to drain some of the hydraulic fluid so that you can disconnect some of the hoses. Then you have to try to make a complete revolution of the valve to try to tighten the pipe connection, which in most cases you can not easily do.

After several attempts to tighten that connection, I gave up and put a union and two wrench tightenable nipples in there, which is what should have been there in the first place. Now, if there is any leakage there I can slightly loosen the union and tighten either of the side nipples as needed.

If it starts to leak there, replacing it is the way to go

I believe that is where mine is leaking but have yet to verify for sure. Do you by chance know the thread size?

Lopi Rockport

It is normally 1/2 in. tapered pipe thread, but you will need to get a 1/2 in. nipple and compare it to your existing pipe to make sure.

I've had mine for about 5 months and so far have put about 4 cords through it. It is definitely a time saver.

Like jetsam said. I too have a leak around the control handle and need to do the same thing.

You have to disconnect 2 flexible lines and a rigid one. Be careful with the rigid one- you could damage the flares or kink the whole thing if you're not. I'm not even sure if you can flare steel tubing like that with a standard copper flare tool, so best not to mess it up.

Once you get all the lines off, one more turn was enough to get the fitting tight enough to stop the leak for me.

I'm not home right now so I don't remember if that's a flare or IPS fitting, or what size it is. Memory says it was something like a 5/8 flare to 5/8 IPS adapter, but I could easily be wrong.

Reactions: ZZ Tom and Tegbert
I bought the 27T model at Lowes about 18 months ago. Same deal as it was on sale, then another 10% off, etc. It has never failed to split any piece of red or white oak fed into it. And this included some pieces that were cut 2 years ago and so big we had to vertical split them because they were to heavy to lift.
Split about 5 cords so far, never has leaked, zero issues.

i have been a huge fan of mine.... dht has great service

I purchased a DHT 27 ton and a 22 ton last year... great splitters..i love the 22.. its pretty fast and splits anything. I put a 4 way wedge on the 27.. its a monster....

From what I could tell from dht's website, the 22 and the 27 are the same machine with a different cylinder (plus the log catcher comes standard on the 27). Is that true?

i only wish someone would make a video of how to change the oil without having to lift the thing up. I know you can take out the bolts, but I'm not really very good at small engines :)

a nice step by step would be really helpful!

i only wish someone would make a video of how to change the oil without having to lift the thing up. I know you can take out the bolts, but I'm not really very good at small engines :)

a nice step by step would be really helpful!

Use the other oil drain and just lower the front

From what I could tell from dht's website, the 22 and the 27 are the same machine with a different cylinder (plus the log catcher comes standard on the 27). Is that true?

Yes you are correct. The log cradle came with both splitters. The 22 ton cycle time is faster. And the 27 is a touch slower but more then makes up with the 4 way on it. I am really liking my set up here. I am processing alot of wood at my home and really getting into this heating with wood only lifestyle.

Reactions: Lone_Gun