Did a test, need to know ur results with your Summit/ other stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
Alright, I have an old Fisher mid 70's era wood stove! It gives me heat 24/7 and works fine, but boy does it go through the wood. So here goes! Tonight at 6:30 I made a fire in the fisher with clean box. All this wood is standing dead, and when split open has moisture content between 1% - 3% my first three splitsof locus are north/ south 3" big, that would be 3 x 3 x 3 ! then I ball up news paper and put in between the splits. Then a little cardboard above that news paper which sits on top of the bottom 3" splits. On top of the three splits are 6" of red oak laid east west, there are 6 of these splits. Then I light! It starts quickly, in 10 mintues I am up to 550, then I turn down the air inlets to 1/8 inch gaps on both the air inlets. I leave home, and come back exactly at 2 hours, I check the stove. It has a temp of 350, and some coals. Enough to start a new fire with some cardboard and more wood! Its is 35 degrees outside, 68 degrees inside when I started the fire, and 70 degrees when I return 2 hours later!

So what I want to know. If I purchase a Summit classic, will it give me the same stove top temps, and hopefully for more than 2 hours? If it gave me 4 hours atleast I would use alot less wood. So I was just wondering if anybody else purchased a Summit, and saw some good comparisons with their old and new stove, and if they had less wood consumption, but the same heating capacity?

thanks

I don't have a Summit, but I can tell you that my new EPA stove runs rings around the old smoke dragon that I got rid of this year. The firebox on the new stove is half the size of the old stove (firebox on new stove is 2cf--old one was almost 4cf), but out performs the old one in every respect. The new stove heats up more quickly, maintains a steady heat, burns cleaner and eats a lot less wood. I'm just sorry that I didn't get rid of the smoke dragon when I first bought the house--I've spent more years than I needed to feeding a monster stove. I get a 7-hour overnight burn and wake up to a nice bed of coals that make restarting the fire very easy. Don't be afraid of new EPA stoves, they're great (and mine didn't cost a fortune, either--about $900 for DIY install, including the optional blower kit). Good luck.

FatttFire said:
Alright, I have an old Fisher mid 70's era wood stove! It gives me heat 24/7 and works fine, but boy does it go through the wood. So here goes! Tonight at 6:30 I made a fire in the fisher with clean box. All this wood is standing dead, and when split open has moisture content between 1% - 3% my first three splitsof locus are north/ south 3" big, that would be 3 x 3 x 3 ! then I ball up news paper and put in between the splits. Then a little cardboard above that news paper which sits on top of the bottom 3" splits. On top of the three splits are 6" of red oak laid east west, there are 6 of these splits. Then I light! It starts quickly, in 10 mintues I am up to 550, then I turn down the air inlets to 1/8 inch gaps on both the air inlets. I leave home, and come back exactly at 2 hours, I check the stove. It has a temp of 350, and some coals. Enough to start a new fire with some cardboard and more wood! Its is 35 degrees outside, 68 degrees inside when I started the fire, and 70 degrees when I return 2 hours later!

So what I want to know. If I purchase a Summit classic, will it give me the same stove top temps, and hopefully for more than 2 hours? If it gave me 4 hours atleast I would use alot less wood. So I was just wondering if anybody else purchased a Summit, and saw some good comparisons with their old and new stove, and if they had less wood consumption, but the same heating capacity?

thanks

not trying to be rude but.... LMAO!! i feel for you... i have a summit insert and wheni use dry red oak as you .. i come home 1014 hrs later and have enough start a fire ... on a good day at 12 hrs the stove is still 300-350!!! however i measure my heat on the front of the stove not the stove top...
in other words.... GET THE SUMMIT YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
if your wood is 1-3% moisture could you please send me some as i can imagine thats some high powered oak!! wish i could get mine that low!!!

That is alot of wood in a couple hours. My guess would be with a new Summit you will go through half the wood you go through now and have a warmer house to boot.

You can get the same stove top temps but remember this is a convection stove. The sides will not radiate like you are use to most of the heat comes of the top and up the convection channels on the side and back. The front will still give you that searing heat. My T6 which is a Summit covered with cast takes a lot longer to heat up than you are use to and I think the Summit will take longer also but not as much. The good thing is these stoves will not cool so fast and you can get an honest 8 hours. My T6 will try to go to 800 with out a thought so if you have dry wood getting heat will not be a problem.
It sounds funny but you will have to educate yourself on using an EPA stove as they are different. Just read up here on the best ways to run your stove when you finally get one. I love my T6.

I got a plain Jane black summit and I usually load 4 splits at a time. I get 550 - 600 stove top for about 4 hours and then it coasts down from there and it stays on about 300-350 for even longer. and after 10 - 14 hours I still got enough hot coals to start a fire with.

Status
Not open for further replies.