Did I discover a new way to clean stove glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Started to clean by BKULTRA glass today fairly good amount of deposit on it since I haven't been burning it too hot.I have a razor in a holder that works well,I went to spray a little WD-40 on the blade prior to me starting to scrape off the deposits.Well I sprayed the door glass lightly with a light film of WD-40 don't know why just did. I let it soak in about five minutes and then went to scrape the glass,it was unbelievable the razor took of the deposits and in less than five minutes the glass was perfectly clean,took dry paper towels wiped off the residual WD.Finished cleaning the glass with windex glass cleaner and was done. Best cleaner I've ever used bar none WD-40 you figure.

a metal scraper scares me on something so expensive,especially ceramic.We'll wait for replies.

Trust me although I've only been burning my BK for about four months total since I bought it you will not damage the glass with a razor. There's a law in my town forbidding me to own or use anything that is construed as a tool despite this law I've never harmed my glass. Cleaned it about four times using a blade. This WD thing amazes me.

WD-40 + Wait 5 Minutes + Razor Blade + Windex = Too many steps, time, and effort for me.

I don't think it's ever taken me longer than a minute to clean off the glass.

BrowningBAR said:
WD-40 + Wait 5 Minutes + Razor Blade + Windex = Too many steps, time, and effort for me.

Ya, but you don't have a blaze King. I used to just give a quick wipe, but not now. It's a small price to pay for 30 hour burns. :coolsmirk:

webby3650 said:
BrowningBAR said:

Ya, but you don't have a blaze King. I used to just give a quick wipe, but not now. It's a small price to pay for 30 hour burns. :coolsmirk:

The build up on the glass get's that bad? I've seen photos, just assumed it was a thin layer.

WD-40. Fixes anything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn.

earlier this year when I was living in a place with a fireplace, I used some hi-temp stove glass cleaner I got from one of the local wood stove dealers, & it worked great on the glass doors as well as the stone fireplace surround... the gal at the counter said it also works good on carpet, but I never go a chance to try that out...

I use a razor blade. I haven't cleaned it this year yet though. Been burning 24/7 for about 2 months.

BrowningBAR said:
webby3650 said:
BrowningBAR said:

The build up on the glass get's that bad? I've seen photos, just assumed it was a thin layer.
It's kinda bad this time of year, I still don't need to use a razor blade, but it takes a bit to get it clean.

BrotherBart said:

Next thing might be applying some duct tape, wait 2 minutes and remove. All the black then stays on the tape....

Backwoods Savage said:
BrotherBart said:

Next thing might be applying some duct tape, wait 2 minutes and remove. All the black then stays on the tape....

Yep, duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't - duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should - WD-40.

I just cleaned mine with wet newspaper and some ash already in the stove, works great......thanks Dennis, got it from you!!!

Well, they have a list of 2000+ uses, and a link to click to submit a new one:

http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/

ETA: I don't let WD-40 anywhere near either of my woodstoves.

The wet ash and paper towel worked for me to. But since I burn 24-7 when my fire coals down I open the door hold up a steel plate rake the coals to the front slide the plate out shut the door turn the air wide open and let it bun off. It will leave a inch on each side but it doesn't bother me.

Billy

RandyG said:
I just cleaned mine with wet newspaper and some ash already in the stove, works great......thanks Dennis, got it from you!!!

This is my method, works cheap and easy!!!

Gotta burn them hot, and glass build-up is a small problem.

Craig

I like the towel and ash method. Some of the wood I burn does have dirt on it at times. Has anyone ever scratched the ceramic "glass" of a woodstove??? Seems to be pretty hardy. I do not know the hardness properties of ceramic vs normal glass.

RandyG said:
I just cleaned mine with wet newspaper and some ash already in the stove, works great....

+1

This works great, and it has the added bonus of not running the risk of necessitating playing with a razor blade around a burning fire.

eyefish2 said:
I like the towel and ash method. Some of the wood I burn does have dirt on it at times. Has anyone ever scratched the ceramic "glass" of a woodstove??? Seems to be pretty hardy. I do not know the hardness properties of ceramic vs normal glass.

Sooner or later I'm gonna dab the ash and come up w/ some sand. Pretty sure that's going to scratch it.

NATE379 said:
I use a razor blade. I haven't cleaned it this year yet though. Been burning 24/7 for about 2 months.

:bug:

NH_Wood said:
NATE379 said:

And that's just on one load? I heard those BKs were good but I didn't realize.

NH_Wood said:
NATE379 said:

Its been below freezing for the most of it. Sounds normal to me. It will be -7f by the morning.

I have also used a razor blade scraper to clean my glass when I wasnt burning the stove hot. I also use 4/0 steel wool on cool glass and that works well.Although after 13 years the inner glass became etched, so I replaced it. For 35.00 I can see the fire nice and clear now.

Haha, no way on just one load. I've gone through about 1/2 a cord so far. It's about on par, burned about 3 cords total last year from mid-Sept to mid-March

DaFattKidd said:
NH_Wood said:
NATE379 said:

And that's just on one load? I heard those BKs were good but I didn't realize.

NATE379 said:
Haha, no way on just one load. I've gone through about 1/2 a cord so far. It's about on par, burned about 3 cords total last year from mid-Sept to mid-March

So long as you don't find 50 degrees comfortable for your home, or supplement your heat, I am DAMN jealous of your home's insulation.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.