Did I Mess Up My OAK?

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been thinking more about this and you're absolutely right about the boiling.
It has to have been water that made sounds in another way.

But my main point is that you don't need air volume/air flow thru the fan. Just an under pressure created under the slab, and the radon will flow to the fan and out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Winterpeger
I've been thinking more about this and you're absolutely right about the boiling.
It has to have been water that made sounds in another way.

But my main point is that you don't need air volume/air flow thru the fan. Just an under pressure created under the slab, and the radon will flow to the fan and out.
If you have a sump pump connected to the foundation will it comeup there? And can you add a blower to the sump pump hole? My basement is mostly finished so if I get high readings I'm not sure what to do. Maybe the only high reading will be in the laundry room where the sump pump is. There could be many floor cracks but I can't see them. I do see one in my furnace room. Anyway, I don't have my meter yet.
 
I think so yes. If it collects under your slab, it'll come up via the easiest path.
And a dump pump has (microscopic) pathways towards it where the water flows to the pump, enabling the radon to go as well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Whitenuckler
Yes there are covers made for radon fans connected to sump pits. They form airtight seals to the sump pit.
 
You now have me worried. I was looking at buying a meter. Is that a good idea or should I buy a test kit you send away? My family never did it when I was growing up, and I have never did it before. I wonder if I should start to worry about it now?
Update. I did buy a good meter, and had it in the basement and main floor. The readings in the basement were high. Yesterday I bored a 60mm hole through the rim joist above my sump pit. I stuck a 2 inch PVC pipe in and connected a small inline 12V blower. Reset the meter and looked at it today. Reading (short term) is cut in half already. Next is to extend a pipe into the sump lid. It was well worth the money to get the meter. I also loaned it out so someone else could test their basement.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GG Woody
Radon can fluctuate a lot over just a day or 2. I'd take your meter back and keep it in your basement in the same place for at least a few weeks before you make any determinations on your levels.
 
[Hearth.com] Did I Mess Up My OAK?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Whitenuckler
The heavy rains seem to spike my radon levels. Also closed basement windows, during rain, doesn't help at all. I try to keep the basement windows open as much as possible. With windows open i'm getting almost outdoor radon levels which is good.

My buddy in Utah had his entire radon system installed outside his house. It works great.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Whitenuckler
Radon can fluctuate a lot over just a day or 2. I'd take your meter back and keep it in your basement in the same place for at least a few weeks before you make any determinations on your levels.
Radon can fluctuate a lot over just a day or 2. I'd take your meter back and keep it in your basement in the same place for at least a few weeks before you make any determinations on your levels.
Yes for sure. I have the long term readings ie 3 months starting recorded. I will leave it on now. I had only had it going down in the basement for about 2 weeks (I had it loaned out, and started a new run). The short term readings ie day/week are way smaller than before. When you get readings in half, that's good.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bigealta