Did my block off plate today before insert install...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Well I will be installing something wed. As of now it’s a enerzone destination 2.7. I read about a fellow who installed in the basement and couldn’t get any heat out of it. Since mine is a basement install in an exterior chimney I decided to insulate. 13962A5B-EE22-49A4-B495-867578E28F34.jpegE4B9308C-3890-4AF3-9F97-928A5FA819DF.jpegE8162DBC-0FFF-447F-BE53-297EF0673CB2.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s all for today. I will probably wrap the pipe with ceramic fiber blanket, also I will put something around the pipe close up my square. What you can’t see is where I took out the damper that whole cavity is stuffed with roxul- as we as on top of the block off plate. Once I figure out Exactly where the stove gets it fresh air from I will cover the remaining brick with insulation.

Looks good. Sometimes the complaint of no heat in a basement install is because the walls are uninsulated. A third of the heat generated can disappear out the walls without insulation. A cement floor can suck up even more heat.

The basement is finished and I am assuming insulated. It’s hard to keep heat downstairs as there are actually 2 different stairwells so the boiler runs more downstairs as the heat often makes it’s way up so hopefully this insert will do well.