Did You Know That 4 Snow Tires Are Mandatory In The Province OF Quebec?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I didn't 'til I tried to buy some snow tires a couple of weeks ago.
One guy blamed a shortage on a new law in Quebec.
I guess it really is true.

I found some studded Haaka 5's that seem to working well.
Hellishly expensive though.

Its true. Not sure if it's all of Canada or jsut Quebec, but the same thing happened to a guy here at work...tried to use tireracka nd other online places and just couldn't get 4 matching snows that fit his car...local place had a set, but he had a difficult time getting his name on them as there was a serious run.

Glad I've got a set already for the wife's car.

Law is only in Quebec but others are looking to follow. BC is thinking about it. AB should have it.
Big tire shortage.
I have some Haks on my wife's car and they are great.

Studded all around baby! Studs work great the first year, and then start to decline rapidly. Now maybe if I would have replaced the studs......

4 matching tires, snow or not, as far as I'm concerned for front wheel drive.

I finally put a pair on that I was given a few years ago. Too much freaking snow and "wintery mix" this year.

Matt

[quote author="d.n.f." date="1231445934"

Studded all around baby! Studs work great the first year, and then start to decline rapidly. Now maybe if I would have replaced the studs......[/quote]

As regards replacing the studs? Did your wife write this? Are you about to be replaced dnf??

Sorry, just had to do that :lol:

Check out the Bridgestone Blizzak tire. I've got 'em for my wife's RWD coupe and for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Wonderful winter tires, no studs. Got 'em from Tirerack.com. Wife's I bought on wheels ready to install, the Jeep's I had delivered to a local affiliate dealer and put on the factory wheels. Very happy with them. Rick

CZARCAR said:
2 studs in front are dangerous for fishtailing & the law is right to not allow it...sorrry :down:

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying.

We have 4 matched studded tires on our Tacoma 4WD and also on VW Jetta. Both work well.

The law doesn't require snow tires per se, only that tires must meet a minimum spec. There are all season tires that do meet the spec which are badged with a snowflake on the sidewall.

sonnyinbc said:
[quote author="d.n.f." date="1231445934"

Studded all around baby! Studs work great the first year, and then start to decline rapidly. Now maybe if I would have replaced the studs......

As regards replacing the studs? Did your wife write this? Are you about to be replaced dnf??

Sorry, just had to do that :lol:[/quote]

I buy her a house, a car with snow tires, and this is how she repays me.

sheesh

[quote author="CZARCAR" ] i think studs on the rear are better than studs on all 4 for braking.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure studs on all 4 are better for braking than with studs only on the 2 rears.

Status
Not open for further replies.