Difference between Hardwood and softwood or blend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SESZOO

Nov 30, 2013
NORTHERN NY, Almost Canada.
First year with pellets but have burned wood since I can remember , I have a Lopi AGP and when I installed it I figured Hardwood would be the best for heat as in wood stoves ,so I bought golden supremes from energex thinking they'd be best being hardwood , But I see where some people are burning softwood pellets ,Is there a lot of difference between Hard wood and soft or the blended ? Just trying to prepare for next year on both money and the heat , Still learning the stove and how to burn after many years of just wood .

The softwoods typically burn a little hotter. The blends sometimes actually can be crap, depends on brand. I try to get 100% of either. These Green Supremes are a blend and some are not liking them. I don't mind them. Depending on where you live, the 100% softwoods are harder to come by. Thus why I am buying Horse Bedding pellets (100% pine) at the moment. All I can find are hardwood pellets and I need the extra heat right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.