Differences in old versus new Hearthstone Mansfield. Are there any?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubela

Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2008
KoP PA
www.prussianmotors.com
I'm looking at purchasing a Hearthstone Mansfield. I have a potential lead on a used one, but it was made around 1996. Are there any advantages/drawbacks from purchasing that one over a new one? I know it will be older/potentially have cracked bricks, etc.. but how about build quality, efficiency, user friendliness... just all around characteristics. Has anything changed? Good/bad.
Thanks

I just bought a 1996 Mansfield myself. Been burning since Thanksgiving. The primary air control, ash pan, and door latches have been redesigned, but that's about it. And it's nothing that you'll really say "gee I wish I had the newer one." Nothing problematic. The air control on the older ones is a rotating knob, as opposed to a sliding lever on the newer ones. I found one cracked stone in mine AFTER purchasing. Cracked stones are not a problem and can be fixed with stove cement as per Hearthstone tech support. I went through and recemented all the stone joints I could get to from inside the firebox, as well as the crack. Other the three things mentioned, it's the same stove, same operation. I'm happy with mine.

Great to know, thank you. The owner stated that one brick is cracked, so I know I'll be repairing that. Hopefully I'll have my mansfield soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.