dimmer confusion - what aftermarket to use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drewman

Aug 10, 2015
Ohio
We are installing a pacific energy fp30 unit. The rotary dimmer that comes with the unit is not our style.

What aftermarket dimmers are compatible with the fireplace blower motor? Will the new LED/incandescant dimmers work? Will a 3 speed ceiling fan dimmer work?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-...Speed-Fan-Control-White-CTFSQ-FH-WH/202791258

I do like the Lutron Skylark style.

install manual picture:

Thanks Jan, I'm hoping maybe the PE FP30 crew may share some wisdom and I am consistently surprised by the knowledge of this user base.

3 speed ceiling fan switch will work.

a regular light dimmer consumes wattage, hence the old wives tale that dimmers save you money on your electric bill. A fan speed control actually changes the frequency of the voltage supplies tot he motor. In other words, the guy that said to use a fan speed control is correct, dont use a light dimmer

That should work fine. The only limitation with the one you like is the 3 speed limitation. You wont be able to fine tune the speed to what you need or to adjust out any slight rattle or vibration you “might” get from the fan at certain temps and/or speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can get a fan control that's adjustable throughout the whole range

With a little research you may be able to find a remote control to control fan speed. Hampton Bay uses remotes to control some of their ceiling fans. But, then you'd have yet another remote to look for when you need it.