Dimplex Garage Heater Trouble Shooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris5303

Oct 26, 2020
Indianapolis
I am a home owner that has a lot of previous success with some pretty heavy DIY projects including running a 100 amp box in the garage and adding 7 outlets on 3 breakers, etc.

That said I just purchased a Dimplex euh12b84ct and have not been able to get it running.

I've run it about 7 feet from the box from a 60amp 2 pole breaker with 2 6 gauge wires running from the hot to heater and and 8 gauge ground.

The fan turns on when the thermostat is below the room temp but that is all I can get it to do.

Power is getting to Contactor but I am not sure where to go from there on the Trouble Shooting. I have a Multimeter but I'm a bit of a novice with it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

IMG-1844.jpg
IMG-1845.jpg
IMG-1846.jpg

I assume that's a heater with multiple elements. The schematic is for 480 VAC or 600 VAC, 1 phase or 3 phase connection.
I think your power supply is 115 / 230 VAC. So If your comfortable rewiring it to run on 230, you can get it to work, kind of. You will have to remove the contactor coil transformer, and operate it from the line. The elements will run at half voltage, producing a lot less heat. I don't see anything with that.

Thanks for the Reply!

So from what I'm reading and what I think you are getting at is this can be single phase but essentially still needs to be run off of 480VAC which is essentially just a modified 3 phase. A normal single phase 100 amp box wont work without rewiring the heater?

I assume that's a heater with multiple elements. The schematic is for 480 VAC or 600 VAC, 1 phase or 3 phase connection.
I think your power supply is 115 / 230 VAC. So If your comfortable rewiring it to run on 230, you can get it to work, kind of. You will have to remove the contactor coil transformer, and operate it from the line. The elements will run at half voltage, producing a lot less heat. I don't see anything with that.
Thanks for the Reply!

So from what I'm reading and what I think you are getting at is this can be single phase but essentially still needs to be run off of 480VAC which is essentially just a modified 3 phase. A normal single phase 100 amp box wont work without rewiring the heater?

There's a number of wiring configurations to run it single phase, 3 phase, 480 or 600 volt. It's a little hard to read, but the options appear to be shown and explained.

The issue you have, is you have 230 single phase is not explained nor, will operate this heater. But with some redesigning you could get it to work at half the heat. Based on the spec's of 12 KW at 480 V you have plenty of power with 100 amps.

May want to wire it up to your local code... if its not up to code your home owners insurance will have a hay day with you if something goes wrong