Direct Vent but "Not a source of heat"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saminbc

Nov 18, 2021
British Columbia, CA
We recently bought a townhouse which was built in 1995. It has two fireplaces.

One of them is a B-Vent I want to replace (since it is a) "for decorative purposes only" and b) because it draws in cold air from outside and keeps that side of the house very cold).

The other fireplace has a closed box and vents sideways outside the wall. However the label underneath the fire box says "Not a Source of Heat"

Is this possible? If I want heat from it, do I need to replace it? I thought Direct Vent fireplaces were to give you heat.

PXL_20211118_202119160.jpeg PXL_20211118_202143747.jpeg PXL_20211118_202228854.jpeg

There are appliances on the market that are designed for the light show and not for heating. Just for show, not for go.

We recently bought a townhouse which was built in 1995. It has two fireplaces.

One of them is a B-Vent I want to replace (since it is a) "for decorative purposes only" and b) because it draws in cold air from outside and keeps that side of the house very cold).

The other fireplace has a closed box and vents sideways outside the wall. However the label underneath the fire box says "Not a Source of Heat"

Is this possible? If I want heat from it, do I need to replace it? I thought Direct Vent fireplaces were to give you heat.

View attachment 285737 View attachment 285738 View attachment 285739
"Vented Decorative Gas Appliance" is just a technical designation to distinguish these fireplaces from actual heaters. You will get heat from it, although it looks like it is a small BTU fireplace.