Direct Vent Insert vs non insert advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davidbr

Feb 1, 2017
ohio
Hi all

I’m interested in a direct vent gas fireplace and need some advice on options regarding an insert vs non insert. A little background.

I’m remodeling a room that has a traditional brick fireplace and hearth. The room has an existing wood burning fireplace with chimney going up about 30 feet. We are going for a cleaner modern look so we removed ugly painted recycled brick wall (veneer not structural) and hearth which will be replaced with a stacked stone. The firebox itself was in poor shape, so I took out the fire bricks on the sides and in back. I even removed the damper, leaving me with a 40” wide by 39” high by 20” deep rectangular brick box with a 12” flu going to the top of the house. On each side of the firebox is probably 20 in of brick that taper up towards the flu. I left the fire bricks in the bottom.

I’ve been looking at inserts - Regency / Mendota to start with. Since most units are smaller than my opening I thought I would use cement block to frame in the difference in the height so I can create a seamless look between the stone and fireplace. My questions are

1. Do I need to reinstall the fire bricks to use an insert? One local shop said I have to. Given I have a brick box with 20 inches of brick on each side, new fire bricks don’t quite add up unless these units get very hot. Above the fireplace there is brick / block too so nothing combustible is anywhere near the fireplace.

2. Is a regular non insert direct vent an option too? In reading the install instructions, these are usually framed in wood with perhaps steel studs in locations touching the unit. Do they run cooler than an insert? Also the units I’ve looked at have a pipe in pipe system which I think would still work given I’ve removed the damper.

3. Any brand recommendations also welcome. I’m not looking to heat the room so output is not my first concern.

Thanks!
Dave

So you have a bit of a unique situation. Your opening is large enough to fit a 38 or 36 inch fireplace. The thing is most zero clearance fireplaces use a coaxial vent meaning it's a 4-inch pipe inside of a 7 or 8 inch pipe depending on the manufacturer. What you need is co linear which is to separate 3 inch pipes typically. All inserts come as co linear. Some zero clearance units can be adapted but not all depending on the brand. Usually you can get an extra large close your plate to cover up the large opening with an insert but not a zero clearance unit. The other issue is you don't want to heat. That causes an issue with inserts as most are made to heat the room and not be decorative. Either way there's no reason that you have to reinstall the fire brick as you're not going to be using it as a wood-burning fireplace anymore. The brands that I deal with are Astra, montigo and Valor. Of those three Valor makes an adapter for all of their zero clearance units to go co linear.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

Is a coaxial possible given I’ve removed the damper (the entire steel unit)? Looking up there is a pretty straight shot up the flu to the chimney cap.

I like the linear look but most seem to be too wide for my 40” wide box. So far, I’ve price out a Regency LR16E insert and similar Mendota FV44i, both which can be installed with small backing plate to give a flush look. I did take a quick look at the Montigo site. From what I can tell the L and P Series Linear might be an option as the L38 and L42 are 36 5/8 and 39 ¾ wide per the drawing. I’m thinking I could raise my existing base up by using cement block. It looks like the units are framed in since they have a 4.5 inch space above and below. I take it these units can be service through the front since they are framed in?

Yes the L & P series units are serviced through a removable panel below the burner. Hard to say without seeing it with regards to the venting. Another option would be to cap the Chimney and go right out through the firebox to the outside.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk