Dirty Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 7, 2020
Central Virginia
A home I purchased came with a small mountain of cut firewood. I used some of it to fill a woodshed that is about 12' (W) x 4' (D) x 8' (H). I probably have enough wood to refill the wood shed three more times. I am very grateful, to be sure.

The challenge I have is that much of the wood was stored for years under a tarp. As a result, some of the wood, usually the top row, has deteriorated into sawdust. This means, of course, that the vast majority of the wood below is covered in layers of sawdust. Not a big deal, though it means I have to brush off every single piece of wood before bringing it in the house. Otherwise the mess is ridiculous.

I have two questions:
  • Is the correct remedial measure to reposition the tarp so that it covers solely the top and not the sides of the stacks of firewood?; and
  • Is there any way to speed up the process of cleaning the firewood?
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

I would check the tarp for leaks first. Wood that doesn't get wet usually will not Deteriorate. I would also check for insects.. holes in the wood, sawdust usually means power post beetle and stuff like that.. I dont clean my wood. if I put it in a wheelbarrow to bring it up to the house the moving of the wood will get most of the particles off..

Reactions: CincyBurner
It seems like you're not sure the age of the wood piles.
Like woodsplitter67 said, if wood in the stacks is dry, it shouldn't rot.
With squirrels. mice and chipmunks chewing through tarp, UV degradation, and constant friction from wind no doubt there will be holes in the tarps after a few years.
Punky wood will burn once dried, but will have lost much of its fuel value.
Sort through the pile/s. Pitch anything gone to humus. Your call on the punky stuff. Keep sound wood in top covered stack or wood shed.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Me . . . if I had the time and ambition . . . I would restack the piles, sorting out the punky wood from the good stuff and either build a bigger woodshed to store it in or go the cheaper route and use a new tarp, billboard sheeting, pool liner or even metal roofing to top cover the new stacks to keep the rest of the wood in good shape.

Reactions: Zack R
So for speeding up the process of cleaning the old dirty firewood, if you can get a hose to it, a high pressure jet of water would probably be the quickest way to clean the old firewood. That might sound strange, but a few days of sun would quickly dry the surface moisture from the the good wood.

but a few days of sun would quickly dry the surface moisture from the the good wood.
Yes, and water from a hose will not soak in beyond the surface...as long as the wood is not laying in water...and even that will dry in a few days of sun/wind if it is wood that is still fairly solid, and it only laid in water for a few days.
I might try the leaf blower first though.
And yes, proper stacking to allowing drying is to top cover the wood (with a little overhang if possible) leaving the sides open for sun/wind.