Discounted stoves availability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
I’m looking to buy a stove to heat a west Texas hunting lodge about 2000sq ft. The stove will be used roughly maybe a half dozen times through the winter. It does get down into the teens for a few days , with occasional snow. I live in Western New York State and knowing that there will be discounted stoves available due to the May deadline for new EPA stoves and the end of sale stoves in a few months. I’m looking for a decent quality stove , with glass for viewing and no blower. The lodge is off grid with a generator so the generator won’t be run through the night. I will purchase the stove and double wall pipe in and around western New York and transported to Texas next October , where I will install it. Any leads will be appreciated , thanks.

you might get lucky at a tractor supply or big box store, but generally there has been a lot of warning time for the new epa rules and many stove shops have stopped carrying inventory on the older stoves, or keep hawking craigs list / facebook market place.

only used 6 times a year I would just get an old all nighter off craigslist or Facebook.

if you want the glass I would start poking around at Home Depot. The one by me is trying to get rid of the NC30 they have for 699

Last edited:
I put a Osburn 2300 in my hunting camp last year. Its not 2020 compliant and should be discounted. Excellent big stove. Puts out a ton more heat and 2x longer burns than the Lopi Republic I initially bought. My dealer got it from a rep somewhere in NY. Call Osburn and ask who their NY distributor is.

Largest WA state stove shop started having a big sale this week. It's a couple months early, but they need to move the old stock of step 1 stoves.

Largest WA state stove shop started having a big sale this week. It's a couple months early, but they need to move the old stock of step 1 stoves.

They need to move those stoves in the winter when people are thinking about heating. Low prices in may wont mean much when people are running their ac.

Yes, though the sale is early this year. Normally it starts about a month from now, not the first of January. In summer, they sell hot tubs. (AC? who runs AC around here? ;) )

Reactions: Rhodie
Yes, though the sale is early this year. Normally it starts about a month from now, not the first of January. In summer, they sell hot tubs. (AC? who runs AC around here? ;) )

not us.

I forgot to mention that the woodstove that I ‘m looking for , is for a high end hunting lodge in West Texas , so just an old smoke dragon is not going to cut it.
What are everybodies thought on a Quadra Fire Isle Royale. I found this on Craigslist today and will go Thursday to look at it. Any experience with this stove? Any weak spots or anything , I should pay attention to?
3DDDE6BD-C2DE-4985-92B5-164A4A47D7E5.png

It's a great stove and a serious heater. @Jags has been running one for years.

Reactions: mark cline
I looked at the Isle Royale yesterday and fell in love with it. The stove is in fantastic condition , with no deterioration of the brick or the secondary burn tubes, for $500 , I couldn’t say no. My plan is to put it in my finished basement of my log home and use it for the rest of the winter to figure out how to run it and to identify any problems before it goes to West Texas in November.

I put the a Isle Royale into my walk out basement of my log home . Who would have thought I could move that massive stove with no help. I had the stove on a dolly in the back of my truck then onto a platform on the 3 Pt hitch of my tractor , then into the doorway . Moved out my old friend , the Fisher Grandma bear. Pipe went together in a snap, lit the fire and let it go real low for about an hr to drive off any moisture. Put in 3 small splits and burned at 400 for another hr, started to smell like paint burning off this 11 year old stove . 3 hrs later put in 4 splits and stove cruised at 650 , but the paint smell was overwhelming, I opened doors and windows for an hr to ventilate the house. Before firing , the inside of the stove was heavily coated in crusty creosote, I don’t think the stove was ever fired hot enough to cure the paint. Problem is , this stove is not going to Texas in November , it’s staying here , I hope to find another Quadra for Texas.

4DF0F933-0BE7-459F-8E53-A1FE91DE66C9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the a Isle Royale into my walk out basement of my log home . Who would have thought I could move that massive stove with no help. I had the stove on a dolly in the back of my truck then onto a platform on the 3 Pt hitch of my tractor , then into the doorway . Moved out my old friend , the Fisher Grandma bear. Pipe went together in a snap, lit the fire and let it go real low for about an hr to drive off any moisture. Put in 3 small splits and burned at 400 for another hr, started to smell like paint burning off this 11 year old stove . 3 hrs later put in 4 splits and stove cruised at 650 , but the paint smell was overwhelming, I opened doors and windows for an hr to ventilate the house. Before firing , the inside of the stove was heavily coated in crusty creosote, I don’t think the stove was ever fired hot enough to cure the paint. Problem is , this stove is not going to Texas in November , it’s staying here , I hope to find another Quadra for Texas.View attachment 255544
Nice! I saw this coming...

Good luck finding your Texas stove.

Great deal on a beautiful stove. I really wanted to put one in years ago, but could not make the clearances work. Dovre designed. It is a serious, radiant heater.

Is the basement insulated? If not a huge amount of heat is being soaked up by the walls and floor.

This stove has so many great features, looks for one , instead of the boxsy , step design. The air controls make startup and adjustments easy. The start up air control really gets the wood going in a hurry. The top load feature is Ok but I would rather use the doors. My draft is 32 ft of 6” class A , straight up from the stove, which makes any stove perform great. So good , I had to put in a damper to throttle it back. Thank god the paint smell has dissipated . I figure , I’ll have at least 2 to 3 months to find a stove of equal size for Texas. The Texas ranch house , is 4000 sq ft , all open, 4 bedrooms and 4 baths, with ceiling fans .
254BCFA6-4BF3-45FB-8C13-D4A16115FB78.jpeg

Great deal on a beautiful stove. I really wanted to put one in years ago, but could not make the clearances work. Dovre designed. It is a serious, radiant heater.

Is the basement insulated? If not a huge amount of heat is being soaked up by the walls and floor.
The basement is insulated with 2.5” of foam board inside and out and the floor has 2.5” of foam board under 6” of concrete with radiant floor tubing throughout. Any excess heat can travel up the stairway to the great room .

The basement is insulated with 2.5” of foam board inside and out and the floor has 2.5” of foam board under 6” of concrete with radiant floor tubing throughout. Any excess heat can travel up the stairway to the great room .
Sounds like you are ready to rock and roll.

Now the quest begins for the Texas stove. I have to jump on this now Otherwise , if we get warm weather , anybody who is selling a stove and gets no interest in it will wait until fall.
like I said previously, I need a a good looking stove , what are your thoughts on a Vermont Castings Defiant , non cat stove. I need a big stove, the ranch house is like a warehouse with 24’ at the ridge and about 30,000 cubic feet of interior space. The Quadra fire 5700 would be another choice , but it’s not a good looking stove, and no way do I want a pedestal base.

I need a a good looking stove , what are your thoughts on a Vermont Castings Defiant , non cat stove.
AKA the Neverburn stove. Keep on looking, there are lots of other good looking stoves. A big Jotul (F600 or F55), Quad IR or Explorer III, Heartstone Manchester, Enviro Boston 1700, Pacific Energy Alderlea T6, all are good lookers.

I know VC has had quality issues in the past but what is the problem with them? The only reasonI ask is there is a VC Defiant about an hr from me .

I know VC has had quality issues in the past but what is the problem with them? The only reasonI ask is there is a VC Defiant about an hr from me .
They are a maintenance nightmare and really difficult to run correctly

Yes, the non-cat version was quite draft sensitive and often a pain to run under varying outside temps. The refractory package design was fragile, usually needing a rebuild every few years of regular service. Keep on looking.

Reactions: mark cline