Disposing of a Jotul 602C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmcc

Dec 12, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Hi - I've just replaced my Jotul 602C, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it while (hopefully) getting a few bucks.

Externally, it is in good condition. Internally, not as much. Both side burn plates are cracked, and the bottom burn plate is cracked. All should be replaced before this thing is put back into service. The retail price of the parts on Woodmans Parts Plus would add up to $450, which is probably about what the stove would be worth in good condition.

So, I don't expect to get much selling it as is.

Is there much of a market for parts? Should I fill it with soil, remove the cook plate, and plant something in it? Other thoughts?

I tried asking this on the Classic forum, but didn't get any replies. So, I'm trying here...

I've just replaced my Jotul 602C, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it while (hopefully) getting a few bucks.

Externally, it is in good condition. Internally, not as much. Both side burn plates and the bottom burn plate are cracked and warped. All should be replaced before this thing is put back into service. The retail price of the parts on Woodmans Parts Plus would add up to $450, which is probably about what the stove would be worth in good condition.

So, I don't expect to get much selling it as is.

Is there much of a market for parts? The door and external frame parts are good, baffle is good, legs are good, etc.

Should I fill it with soil, remove the cook plate, and plant something in it? Other thoughts?

Have you tried Craigslist? Someone might want it for parts but I doubt it. I'd pick it up if you were close to me. I've been looking for one to make an endtable with a lamp in it. Im a stove junkie..

Reactions: DUMF
Folks do advertise parts on Ebay. Of course I don't know how successful that are at selling them.

Have you tried Craigslist? Someone might want it for parts but I doubt it. I'd pick it up if you were close to me. I've been looking for one to make an endtable with a lamp in it. Im a stove junkie..

Hey, Ohio is just down the road from Indiana.
I vote end table for Webby. Feel for the poor guy. ;)

P.S. That's one long gone stove.

Now that you say it, it would work pretty well for holding magazines :)

If you can't part it out, it should bring some in scrap. I'd try to part it out though.
Not really scrap is really low now we just hauled a load of stoves today and only got $70. And only $84 for 350lbs of stainless

If the exterior is in good condition I would sell it whole. The value will depend on looks. If it's enameled and still looks great that will help. Put it out on Craigslist and local advertising forums or papers for $50 and see what happens.

"I am like will make purchase of items my associate will meet you for arranging pick up in your venue"
I actually got this response to one of the last stoves I was selling on Craigslist! Be prepared for a volley of scam replies.. Go ahead, try to read that without an East Indian accent! ;lol

Not really scrap is really low now we just hauled a load of stoves today and only got $70. And only $84 for 350lbs of stainless
Well that answers something on my mind... I have some steel in my basement ii need to get rid of. If prices are that low I'll let the recycle bin take it a bit at a time.

How about selling it locally as an "outdoor fireplace" or similar description. I thought about doing that with an old stove. If it isn't safe for indoor use, maybe it still has some usefulness outdoors. Just an idea.