Distilled Boiler Water?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunderwood

Jun 14, 2009
Franklin, Tennessee
My E-140 Wood Gun will be arriving soon and I'd like to get started off on the right foot. The closed system I'll be using takes about 80 gallons to fill. I will not be having any other storage. Should I use distilled water or try to treat tapwater? I know it's important to have the right "mix" and I'd like to know what any of you do and long term results of your techniques, i.e. corrosion, sediment, etc. Thanks

gunderwood said:
My E-140 Wood Gun will be arriving soon and I'd like to get started off on the right foot. The closed system I'll be using takes about 80 gallons to fill. I will not be having any other storage. Should I use distilled water or try to treat tapwater? I know it's important to have the right "mix" and I'd like to know what any of you do and long term results of your techniques, i.e. corrosion, sediment, etc. Thanks

I would probably go with tap-water unless yours is REALLY nasty, and then look at the appropriate boiler chemicals to treat it... Most tap water is reasonably low in minerals that would be a problem, so I don't think distilled would be worth the trouble, especially since you would probably need to add stuff to adjust the pH and so forth anyway... I would see what Woodgun reccomends for treatment chemicals or use the search for "Boiler Chemistry" or "boiler water treatment" to see what others have used.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.