DIY Blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prajna101

Oct 15, 2009
Portland OR
I have a lopi answer and would love to get a blower. They are $279. That is more than I spent on the stove itself (craigslist score new for $150). I am ultra cheap and like to find ways to not spend money. Does anyone have a suggestion for a low cost blower? Or I have thought about getting some squirrel fans and trying to build one myself. Does anyone have experience doing this?

Todd

Burden Sales Corp., catalog online. You may need to construct a plenum to connect blower to stove. Compare C.F.M. rating of factory blower (Lopi), and get a similar one. Do not use aluminum to construct your plenum.

I am sure that you can manufacture one with equivalent CFM and then work up a plenum. When I did, I ended up somewhere around $140 with my DIY rig, though I could have done it cheaper but I wanted it to look nice. I ended up going with the factory blower for my Avalon for just under $300 just because the original one lasted 10 years and it looks so good with the stove. I would buy the factory blower again for mine...

The same or a very similar blower is likely available from Burden for under tweny dollars. A bit of tin, a couple tools and you're in.

Burden in really cool. thanks, I like the looks of those. I am sure I can build something that will work, then try to make it pretty when I get the chance.

t

Depending on how cheap you are contact you local plumber, these newer gas fired furnaces and hot water tanks have little blowers on them, if they rip one out and have a blower that is going with it to the dump you might score one. Oh and great name I am a Todd as well, and cheap. Hmmmm is it the name?

I riveted together a housing for the squirrel-cage fan from a small electric space heater. I think I spent $10, including spray paint. The heater was 10 years old when the elements gave out, but the fan is still going. I may still add a dimmer switch...
Oh, and my middle name's Todd.

Box fan rummage sale $5.00 stand by stove to move air over/around stove plug it in turn on good to go, 3 speed also. 7 years and counting. No co-inhabitants to confuse the issue.

This is a great idea for DIY'ers. I checked out Burden's site. Does anyone know how these units will hold up to heat being right next to a stove? Also is there a way to rig in a thermostat control so that it only blows when the stove temp reaches a certain point?

Has anyone tried a vacuum motor for this purpose?

Dune said:
The same or a very similar blower is likely available from Burden for under tweny dollars. A bit of tin, a couple tools and you're in.

The 'SAME' or Similar blower for $20? I do not think so.

blades said:
Box fan rummage sale $5.00 stand by stove to move air over/around stove plug it in turn on good to go, 3 speed also. 7 years and counting. No co-inhabitants to confuse the issue.

My stove has a convection chamber built in, so it made sense to build something that worked with that. It really pushes the warm air.

Status
Not open for further replies.