DIY Branch jig I invented - cuts 10+ branches at once with chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shrewboy

Oct 15, 2020
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hello everyone :D

I came up with this idea to make a branch cutting "machine" from scrap wood that uses my chainsaw to cut a bunch of branches safely and easily in 1 motion.
Has anyone here seen something like this before? (aside from the big metal firewood processing machines with built in saws etc)

Branches are such a pain to cut, so hopefully this helps one of you!

Hello everyone :D

I came up with this idea to make a branch cutting "machine" from scrap wood that uses my chainsaw to cut a bunch of branches safely and easily in 1 motion.
Has anyone here seen something like this before? (aside from the big metal firewood processing machines with built in saws etc)

Branches are such a pain to cut, so hopefully this helps one of you!

No split fire wood i like it! Also portable ish... a clamping method on the load side would be good way better than cross braces though would work on slabs too

Reactions: Shrewboy
be careful with the metal edge on your cart... don't want to run the chain into that. I'd make the cart go under the working surface a few inches for that reason.

I made one a few years back when I used to burn 16 inch wood, now I cut my wood 20 inches but it still works, good idea if you're thinking of building one, saves time and makes it easier. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of mine.

be careful with the metal edge on your cart... don't want to run the chain into that. I'd make the cart go under the working surface a few inches for that reason.
Yep already learned that the hard way LOL!! I think I am going to put a "guide" piece of wood in the way of the body of the saw, so that it stops it from going low enough to touch the cart

Reactions: stoveliker
When a neighbor had two cords of well seasoned firewood he no longer needed the price was great but the wood was 18 inches. The longest I can use is 16 inches, 15 works better. The solution was this rig. Pack it tight with splits, stretch the bungee to the eye screw on the 2x4 to lock in pieces place and lop off the extra Into a bin. Pressure, wedging and some old small chain attached several places helps keep pieces
from rolling. It was built for one time use but now I set aside any wood that is too long until I get enough to make it worth getting it out.

645E2D40-10B6-445F-8F74-1D8491D25C64.jpeg

When a neighbor had two cords of well seasoned firewood he no longer needed the price was great but the wood was 18 inches. The longest I can use is 16 inches, 15 works better. The solution was this rig. Pack it tight with splits, stretch the bungee to the eye screw on the 2x4 to lock in pieces place and lop off the extra Into a bin. Pressure, wedging and some old small chain attached several places helps keep pieces
from rolling. It was built for one time use but now I set aside any wood that is too long until I get enough to make it worth getting it out.

View attachment 289368
Very similar to the one I made. Made it a few years ago and its still in good shape.