DIY chimney liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

McFarnell

Jan 7, 2017
Washington
Greetings,

I have an Arrow Fireplace insert, probably from the 70's or 80's, as my house was built in 1976. It says model 203408 on it. I pulled the insert out recently, and noticed it is not connected to the chimney at all - it was just put into the fireplace opening and that's it.

I really like the insert - it is easy to control and heats the house very well.

However, I've read that no connection to the chimney can be dangerous and hard to clean, so I'd like to put in a chimney liner myself. A couple questions:

1. There is some creosote buildup on the current chimney. How clean does this have to be before installing a liner?

2. My insert has a 8" flue opening. Does that mean I need an 8" chimney liner or can I couple down to a 6"?

3. Recommendations for a flue liner? Should it be insulated? Is the Forever Flex, pre-insulated a good product?

Thank you.

1. There is some creosote buildup on the current chimney. How clean does this have to be before installing a liner?
It needs to be very clean

2. My insert has a 8" flue opening. Does that mean I need an 8" chimney liner or can I couple down to a 6"?
It needs to be 8"

3. Recommendations for a flue liner? Should it be insulated? Is the Forever Flex, pre-insulated a good product?
Yes it absolutely should be insulated. And for an old unit like that I would use something heavier than forever flex. Their hybrid would be the minimum I would put on it but I would really recommend armor flex.

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks so much. How would I go about getting the creosote out and making the chimney very clean before installing the insert? I could definitely brush it, but I think there is some glazing as well.

Where would I purchase the hybrid or armor flex? Thank you.

Thanks so much. How would I go about getting the creosote out and making the chimney very clean before installing the insert? I could definitely brush it, but I think there is some glazing as well.
We would use rotary cleaners with cables or chains and if that doesnt work then we go with chemicals.

Where would I purchase the hybrid or armor flex? Thank you.
Those are the olympia brands of liners I would recommend but any heavy wall liner from any reputable manufacturer should do fine. Then get an insulation kit with it.